1947 Champion Vacuum Wipers Moving Backwards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: 1947 Champion Vacuum Wipers Moving Backwards

I am working on my 47 4 door. One wiper arm (RH) was off it when I bought it, so i purchased another one from SI. It trys to turn the opposite way. When the left one is parked and the right one is installed parked also until you turn it on. The left one comes up, but the right one tries to push into the cowl. I looked in the repair manual and looked behind the glove box and it is not obvious as to what might be wrong. Anyone seen this and have any suggestions? When I bought it, I asked the PO to put the onwership and keys in the glove box. but he said it was difficult to open. When I got it home, I saw there was no box in it at all, so I bought the liner from SI. I supect with the arm missing on the right hand side, and the glove box liner missing this wiper problem may have been attempted to be fixed before.
    Thanks

Neil

My guess would be they have two left handle cable assemblies installed, as a lot of them were marked right or left, you might check what yours says.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Another possibility is that the tips of the cables were reversed when put into the slots on the arms that extend from the wiper motor. The cables on each assembly should be parallel and not crossed. ..........

From experience --- be extremely careful when placing the wiper arms on the rotating shafts. If the wiper blade hits the windshield frame repeatedly, it can result in destroyng the splines on the rotating shafts, or even a broken cable. I suggest running the wiper motor with no wiper arms attached, then stopping it. Install the wiper arms so the blades are about 1 inch above the bottom of the windshield. Use a garden hose to keep a small stream of water running over the windshield to reduce friction. Run the wipers for a few strokes to see how the area covered by the blades matches the shape of the windshield. To adjust, turn off the wipers, carefully pull the wiper arm(s) off the splined shaft(s) and rotate to a better position. With a good wiper motor, the blades will run all the way from the centre post to the bottom of the windshield. On our '47 Champion I sometimes have to turn the wiper knob slightly to reduce the vacuum so the blades don't hit too hard.

On our '47, the letters L and R after the Trico part number on the cable pulley indicates which side of the car it goes on.
      Bill Jarvis

Comment

Thanks Bill and Milt. I started it last night for the first time since before going to Colorado. Running well, but I did need to prome it with a little gas so am going to replace that hose to the fuel pump with the one I got in Colorado from SI. I looked under the dash and sure enough, the right side cables are crossed. I need to take the radio out as it is not working, so I can get at it a little better then. Best not to try it now and have a good old Plavix bleed trying to reach up in there!
        Thanks for the help. By the way, who is a good source for the solidstate replacement vibrators for these old radios?

Regards

Neil

Comment

One possibility for radio parts/repairs is The Olde Tyme Radio Centre, Belgrave ON N0G 1E0, (519) 357-4304, oldetymeradio@tnt21.com . I have no personal experience dealing with them, but found their ad in "OLD AUTOS".
          Bill Jarvis

Comment

If you replace the vibrator, you should also replace the buffer capacitor (the 1600 volt one) and the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-V1015P

You can just throw a new vibrator in there if you like, but do not be surprised if it has a shorter lifespan than you anticipated.

Additionally, make sure the battery in your 47 is hooked up positive ground. Many solid state devices, like the new vibrators, die instantly and violently with reversed polarity.
            Last edited by RadioRoy; 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Hi Roy. Would you know if that is the right one in the link for the 47 Champion pushbutton radio? If it is I will order it. I do have a collection of car radio tubes from back in the day also. I have it set up with positive ground just like my Cockshutt tractors are.
              I will check the capacitors when I get the radio out. Unfortunately I twisted of the slots in 2 of the screws that hold the heater control module on and am in a quandary trying to figure out how to get them out. I am open to suggestions on this little dilemma also.
              Thanks

Neil

Comment

Yes that is the right one. That's why I sent the link to that one.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Thanks Roy. I appreciate your help. I will get one ordered so when I get the radio out I can change it. I will look for the powersuppy capacitor and the vibrator filer capacitor at that time.
                  Regards

Neil

Comment

Working...
                  X