GT Hawk Side grilles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: GT Hawk Side grilles

A question arose last weekend, namely - can the side grilles from the 1963 GT Hawk be fitted into the 1962 body.

A club member has a 1963 with a 1962 front clip and was wondering.

Thanks in advance to those suppling information.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

The fenders were redesigned in 63 and 64 to accomodate the new grilles. So not without body work.
    sigpic
    Claude Chmielewski
    Studeski
    http://www.studeski.com
    Fillmore, Wisconsin
    47 M-16 Truck
    53 Commander Regal HT
    53 2R5
    60 Lark VIII Convertible
    60 5E7 Champ pickup
    62 5E7 Champ no box
    62 GT Hawk 4 speed
    63 Lark VI parts car
    63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed
    64 Commander Wagonaire
    64 Daytona Convertible
    50 Champion Regal (parts car)
    36 Dictator
    36 Dictator in pieces

Comment

The '62 hood will not work with the 63-64 side grilles. The hood contour around the side grilles is different.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by studeski View Post
        The fenders were redesigned in 63 and 64 to accomodate the new grilles. So not without body work.
        Only change to the fenders I am aware of is the top, where the 63-64 fender spear lights go. In 62, there were no lights, so no slits cut into the fender. I just mounted the side grills on the 63 last weekend, and woulda bet 56-62 side grills would have fit like they were made for it. Musta missed something.
        As for the spears, a 63-64 would fit a 62 without modification, but a 62 would need the slit cut to use on a 63-64.
        Last edited by JoeHall; 07-23-2013, 06:23 AM.

Comment

I did a similar change, putting '64 side grilles and hood on '56 fenders. No problem with the fenders, but the '56-62 hood is just enough different than the '63-64 it would take a talented body man and a lot of time and money to make them fit.
          PackardV8

Comment

Have had a "62 and ,in comparison w/ my '63, the hood (@the side grills) was definitely a different shape - Would need side grills AND hood from a '62.
            Paul TK

Comment

You also need a '63 Grille Shell to fit the '63 Hood.

You can't even change the early '63 Parking Lights to the much better looking Late & '64 ones without some Mods or the correct side grille "Boxes", Grilles, Light housings and Lenses.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks to all for the replies, I have passed them on to my friend.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 30 2012 009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	1683026
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Grill Mods 001.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1683027Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan 2012 010.jpg
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1683025
                  I am doing a '56GH and wanted to use the '63 side grills. I have a very badly damaged '56 hood, flipped up and tore off the hinges and creased the center of the hood, the grill opening was also damaged. I figured I had nothing to lose in trying to modify it. I repaired the hinge brackets and hood corners. I then modified the grill area on a '57 hood and grafted it to the '56 hood. I cut out sections of a damaged '56 grill and installed the sections in the '63 side grills. I really like the look of the finished job.
                  Last edited by cdn56J; 07-26-2013, 10:06 AM. Reason: same photos

Comment

Yes that IS a good look! I like that you have the center portion of a '56-'61 Grille Mesh a few inches from the inboard ends of your side grille to "bend" it in to the rear. That really IS different.

StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Very creative. good on you. Finish it out nice. cheers jimmijim
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                      X