No announcement yet.

Door lock cylinder. Repairable or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Door lock cylinder. Repairable or not?

Hello folks,

I'm afraid I've been a little bit too heavy on my driver's door lock (63S-K). It now rotates freely in the housing. The projection of the cylinder might be broken. Could this be repaired or should I start to look for a new cylinder?
    Thanks ahead and nice day to all.
    sigpic

I just had the door locks on my Champ removed, repaired and re-installed. I watched the locksmith do this so learned how they are installed. It sounds like you may have lost the spring clip inside the door that holds the lock in place. These sometimes get weak or break. You should be able to easily determine if this spring is still in place by removing the door panel and reaching up inside the door and feeling for the lock. The clip is made to slip into a groove in the lock cylinder to hold it in place. If you cannot feel the clip then you may find it laying on the bottom of the door. You may be able to get a new clip from a locksmith or talk to some of the members of your local Studebaker club. Someone is bound to have some of these.
    If this is not the problem then you might want to drop by your local locksmith while the door panel is off and see what they can find.
    I hope this helps.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Thanks Ed.
      I already removed the door panel. The clip is fine and holding the lock. In fact, there are three grooves on the housing to avoid any rotation. The problem is located inside for sure. The next step will be to drill into the housing to release the cylinder.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
        Thanks Ed.
        I already removed the door panel. The clip is fine and holding the lock. In fact, there are three grooves on the housing to avoid any rotation. The problem is located inside for sure. The next step will be to drill into the housing to release the cylinder.
        Oh, yes, it sounds like the lock has failed. I see these on EBay from time to time. You might also try calling one of the Studebaker vendors. I believe these are the same cylinder locks that Chrysler used so you might cast a wider net to see what you can find. Good luck.
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Check out the Bob Johnstone site for info on how to take the tumbler apart and to fix the little tab that breaks off.
          http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechx4.html#Locks
          http://www.studebaker-info.org/tech/Locks/sdc37800.html

Comment

Thanks John.
            I always forget that Bob's site is a real gold mine. I'll try the screw trick. By the way, congrats for your 900th post!
            Nice day to all.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by christophe View Post
              Thanks John.
              I always forget that Bob's site is a real gold mine. I'll try the screw trick. By the way, congrats for your 900th post!
              Nice day to all.
              Thanks Christophe, I didn't realize I had that many posts
              That repair should work fine. I did it to my 64 years ago and it still works ok. Good luck

Comment

I did the repair yesterday. Everything went smoothly. The housing had already the hole to release the lock. All the tumblers were frozen by dirty old grease and were useless. Now, I have a lock that really locks.
                Thanks again to all.
                sigpic

Comment

I bought the special tool from S.I., but can't figure out and easy or sort of easy way to use it. I imagine the two outside parts of the fork are to put around the upper and lower parts of the spring, but getting it between the door skin and spring isn't easy.

Any advice?
                  www.spannerbird.com
                  Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

The universal inside door handle removal tool goes DIRECTLY against the underside of the handle between it and the nylon spacer ring under it. If I remember correctly the loose (open) ends of the "C" Clip are usually at the handle end not the round part, but if not, go in from the opposite (round) side.

Note that this post is talking only about the Key lock cylinder and it's Clip inside the door.
                    I believe you must be talking about the Inside Door and Window Handles, I hope.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Spannerbird View Post
                      I bought the special tool from S.I., but can't figure out and easy or sort of easy way to use it. I imagine the two outside parts of the fork are to put around the upper and lower parts of the spring, but getting it between the door skin and spring isn't easy.

Any advice?
                      I used mine just recently. It'll do the trick unless the tiny spring is deformed. Keep the tool as parallel as possible to the handle. You must insert it on the crank side, aligned with the crank. It usually takes several tries. Don't forget that the spring can pop out like a bullet and get in the worse place you could imagine (Murphy's law is a rule there!). Best of luck.
                      sigpic

Comment

I think we have some confusion here.

The special tool, if it's that forked universal door handle tool that I'm thinking of, goes between the plastic bezel and the door panel on the later model door latch and window cranks, and removes the tiny spring clip in the slot, so the the latch and window cranks can come out. Be careful, because those clips are spring loaded, and one of the ones known as "Jesus clips" because when they pop loose, you'll shout "Jesus, where'd it go!!".

The locks themselves, are affixed to the door with another type of clip, but these slide in a slot that are machined into the sides of the locks, and hold it in place on the inside of the outer door skin. If you can reach your arm inside the door and reach the lock cylinder, you can feel them on the lock. They are like a spring loaded U-clip. There's probably a myriad of ways of getting them loose, I always like to slide a screwdriver or something to separate them from the lock cylinder, but they need to slide out of the slot on the lock cylinder. Odds are, the last time they were put in, was when they left the factory, so there might be a good deal of corrosion on the U-clip and the inside door skin(they won't come out real easily). Once that happens, the lock should pull right out.

I was one of the ones that had to repair my locks on the Lark, because that tiny potmetal nub on the end of the lock broke loose, and I had the same thing happen where my lock just turned in the cylinder. To repair it, I drilled out the nub, and replaced it with a hardened machine screw, so now to break the machine screw, I have to literally destroy the lock.
                        1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                        1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                        1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                        1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBrownR2 View Post
                          Be careful, because those clips are spring loaded, and one of the ones known as "Jesus clips" because when they pop loose, you'll shout "Jesus, where'd it go!!"
                          It's not what I said when it happened a week ago! I'll try to think about you and be more polite the next time.
                          sigpic

Comment

More polite? ummm, Ok.

I thought that special tool was to free the clip from the door skin, but I guess not.

More fun prying things out with a screwdriver, yay! =(
                            www.spannerbird.com
                            Coral/Beige 1953 Studebaker Commander Starlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Spannerbird View Post
                              More polite? ummm, Ok.

I thought that special tool was to free the clip from the door skin, but I guess not.

More fun prying things out with a screwdriver, yay! =(
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X