Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frame Swap?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Frame / Springs: Frame Swap?

    1927 Studebaker Dictator: Can I utilize a Chevy S-10 or other modern frame/running gear with my 1927 Studebaker body?

  • #2
    Hi, welcome to the forum.

    As to the frame, anything is possible. There is a current thread right now about a '53 Studebaker that is being built using a S-10 fame. For your car, the best way to determine if you can reasonably utilize the S-10 frame would be to find a frame drawing of each (ie, the Dictator and the S-10) and compare the dimensions (width, length, wheelbase, rear kickup location and height, etc). This way you can make an informed decision and know what has to be modified going into the project.

    Keep us posted on your progress.
    Last edited by r1lark; 06-23-2013, 08:51 AM. Reason: spelin
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

    Comment


    • #3
      I saw a 20 something Stude touring car up at the south bend flea market sitting on a chebby frame (possibly an s10?) It appeared to be a truck frame for sure. My observation about it is that the kick up on either end of the truck frame is not as deep as on the cars so it makes the car sit noticeably higher off the ground than it did on the car frame.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by r1lark View Post
        Hi, welcome to the forum.

        As to the frame, anything is possible. There is a current thread right now about a '53 Studebaker that is being built using a S-10 fame. For your car, the best way to determine if you can reasonably utilize the S-10 frame would be to find a frame drawing of each (ie, the Dictator and the S-10) and compare the dimensions (width, length, wheelbase, rear kickup location and height, etc). This way you can make an informed decision and know what has to be modified going into the project.

        Keep us posted on your progress.
        r1lark,I some how missed that thread about the 53-S10 swap. Was it in the tech section? If so do you remember a thread title, or the original poster?
        Thanks,Blade

        Comment


        • #5
          I believe he is using an s15 frame.

          The fellows name is Corley I believe.
          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

          Comment


          • #6
            What condition is the '27? What body style?
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

            1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by blade View Post
              r1lark,I some how missed that thread about the 53-S10 swap. Was it in the tech section? If so do you remember a thread title, or the original poster?
              Thanks,Blade
              Blade, here is a link: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...der-Studebaker

              Yes, it's a S-15 frame......to be honest I don't know enough about these trucks to know the difference between a S-10 and an S-15
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

              Comment


              • #8
                An S-10 & S-15 are exactly the same truck other than the grille and nameplates.
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

                1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

                Comment


                • #9
                  S10 is a Chevy, S15 is a GMC.
                  Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                  An S-10 & S-15 are exactly the same truck other than the grille and nameplates.
                  sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                  1950 Champion Convertible
                  1950 Champion 4Dr
                  1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                  1957 Thunderbird

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X