Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeoH
    replied
    Thanks Patrick, I'll call you from work when I can. FYI, Mother Stude says to clean out your message box!

Leave a comment:

• effiedude
    replied
    Leo,, I found a cigarette lighter and socket with extra burner head in My stuff, also a few ignitions with keys and bezels. I'm starting a "pile" for You and it's going to be like Xmas when You finally get the box.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    Thank you, that's the sort of info I needed to read. I'll look closer at the ignition switch to visualize what you describe, but I have an idea. Of course, for the most part I've been looking at the right side of the switch as I was removing and installing the wiper and fan switches recently.

Leave a comment:

• Warren Webb
    replied
    You have 3 terminals around the perimeter of the ignition switch. One is marked "batt", one is marked "ign" & the other is marked "acc". You want to connect the red wire to the ign" terminal for the ignition that goes to the coil +. If you have a test light (which is greatly appreciated when working with 12 volt wiring) makes it really easy. also, the "acc" terminal is usually longer than the other 2, so your choice is between one or the other so either remove the switch or get a test light. Do not connect the wire to the center terminal. That one is used for start only, providing a full battery current to the coil to give the engine extra spark.

The 61 dash has a completely different design.

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    replied
    A Sunpro Super Tach II. I saw a club member's 59 Lark Wagon with a large faced tach and it looked good in his car I thought. I went to Summit and found a similar tach I liked but when I tried to rest it on top of my steering column, it just didn't look as good in my car. Blocked off too much of the gauges. No idea why I think it looks better in another car than in my own, there isn't that much difference between 59 and 60 instruments. 60 and 61 maybe. Whatever, I went with the 2 1/8 sized face instead.

I am not electrically savvy, particularly when it comes to adding something on, so when someone says to mount a ground wire, well, I think too much and there are too many choices for me to make where to set the ground wire. As for the instrument light, I just put my headlight switch back in and back together, after opening it up and cleaning it, so I know there are 2 extra blades in the front of the switch, but I have no idea if there is one more suited than the other. I'm pretty sure the one at the back of the switch, angled down is for the cigarette lighter, and it makes sense to me that a contact closest to the circuit breaker is probably smart for a high draw electrical load like the lighter. But I could be wrong.

As for the positive switched power. I have looked at the ignition switch from the back, but there are several posts, and other than the one with only black wires on it to the left of the switch, a switched power post, in my mind is actually THAT post, since that's what position the key rests when the car is running.

That is why I was asking for where someone stuck their wire blades particularly when they installed their tach. Sorry, but that's how my brain functions.

Actually, now that I think about the 3 middle headlight switch blades, maybe where the wires are attached now is why I don't have instrument lights at position one, just outside parking and taillights. I have instrument lights when the headlights are on. This switch does not contain a rheostat. I am aware of adding on a fuse block, and I may go that route, but that's going to be weeks later when I can get someone to describe and show me the process and where and how that bypass works.
    Last edited by LeoH; 06-23-2013, 12:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    So what tach did you buy?

Leave a comment:

• Mike Van Veghten
    replied
    The above is correct...for most modern tachs.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    That is correct with my generic Tach.

The Red is switched 12v +.
    The Black is ground.
    The Green is the trigger signal off the negative side of the coil (or at the distributor if you choose). I have a Pertronix and use the coil negative.
    The White is for illumination typically run off the headlight switch.

Leave a comment:

• Chicken Hawk
    replied
    Originally posted by LeoH View Post
    I am just about ready to go over the falls and attempt to install a tach on my 60 Lark VI.

I see where the wire is to attach on the coil, but for those of you who have done this with an aftermarket tach, where did you install the various other wires on your install? I know I have 3 free headlight switch blades, one of which is supposed to have the cigarette lighter on it (at the back), does it matter which of the middle 2 blades I insert the instrument light connection?

Thank you in advance.
    Don't know what tach you have but usually if you have a red wire, this goes to a 12 volt source with the key ON, the black a ground, green to the minus side of the coil and white to the lightswitch.

Ted

Leave a comment:

• LeoH
    started a topic Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Aftermarket tach install

Aftermarket tach install

I am just about ready to go over the falls and attempt to install a tach on my 60 Lark VI.

I see where the wire is to attach on the coil, but for those of you who have done this with an aftermarket tach, where did you install the various other wires on your install? I know I have 3 free headlight switch blades, one of which is supposed to have the cigarette lighter on it (at the back), does it matter which of the middle 2 blades I insert the instrument light connection?

Thank you in advance.
Working...
X