Brakes -- No pressure one time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dwain G. View Post
    As Bob P said, this internal bypass is a very typical response when a master cylinder needs rebuilt. Usually noticed when the brakes are applied lightly.
    Press the brake pedal and hold firmly. It will probably creep slowly toward the floor.
    Thanks, Dwain; I had forgotten about that classic test! BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
      Sounds like classic symptoms of brake fade. Long hill, soft pedal afterword. did you smell pad material burning?

I have had it happen twice in my life....once when I ran a 64 Pontiac up to 120 mph and put the brakes on for a crossover on old us 40 when in high school, the other time in the alps in 1970 going down hill in a 59 vw beetle. First time was interesting but not dangerous, second time was a real eye opener and cured me of not using the engine to slow on hills.
      That's interesting. I didn't consider it could have been brake fade, but perhaps that is a possibility as well. It happened in a part of town I don't usually drive through, so I was probably heading down the hill faster than I should have been going. Didn't notice any pad smell, but I wasn't really paying attention in that regard. Anyway, I popped the top off the MC and the level was about 3/4" from the top, so it didn't seem to be low. The fluid however, was fairly murky looking -- sort of a tan, cloudy look to it. Does the look of the fluid diminish its capability at all? Would you pump new fluid in, just based on it not being clear? Oh, also, I held the pedal down and it does not slowly give way at all, so I guess that's good. Thanks guys...
      sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
      Regal Deluxe Trim
      Automatic transmission
      46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Probably a good idea to flush the brake hydraulic system with new fluid, or have a good shop do it for you,from your description of the fluid it needs it. Moisture accumulates in the fluid over time and decreases the efficiency of the hydraulic system.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
        X