How to install a power steering pumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: How to install a power steering pumb

I am in the process of changing out my Eaton power steering pump. While I struggled to get it off the car, I am now looking for tips for the installation. I have already figured out that if I remove the upper radiator hose I have better access to the mounting bolts but are there other tips from this wise and sage group?
    Peter Bishop
    Director,
    Northeast Zone

...pull the battery. temporarily fix the pump to the mounting bolts and see where the pressure line requires final direction/tightening....make a mental note. Remove pump and tighten the pressure hose fitting where you mentally noted, then install all 3 mounting screws & nuts. Connect the return line. Install PS belt. Adjust pump to crankpulley tension tight (per book, I think 20+ deflection lbs.), then tighten the lower pump -to- brace screw to hold. Tighten the other 2 nuts on the special shoulder bolts, then final tightening for all. Install battery. Install upper radiator hose.....hose cure (maybe)...

Fill pump to within 1/2 inch of top, install cap. Start car with full weight on tires. Turn slowly to full right, then left. Turn off engine. Fill pump to 1/2 inch from top. Drive...

Comment

Working...
    X