Transmission swap creates speedo snaffoo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Transmission swap creates speedo snaffoo

I have owned a 1962 GT Hawk for 29 years. I have restored it to a great daily driver, but the last owner had swapped out the automatic trans. and installed a Borg-Warner 4 speed standard. Not knowing what the 4 speed transmission came from I am unable to find the proper speedometer cable. Currently, the transmission has the cut off stub of the original cable still in it; it does not screw onto the tranny, but rather has the push in plug style. This car has a 3.31 rear axle ratio if it makes a difference Can someone help me with a Studebaker part or part number for a speedo cable that will work so the car will clock the miles and speed once again? My second inspection is coming up and the mileage has to register differently indicating no defective equipment.

kmjo1950

Good morning. Looking at the number of posts you have suggest to me that you are new to the forum. So...Welcome! I don't know if you are a member of the SDC, but if you have owned the car for all those years, you should be. Since the transmission is one what was available for the car...how about contacting Studebaker International and ask them if they have a cable assembly for a '62 GT with four speed. Even if the car originally had an automatic, the cable for a GT 4 speed should work fine. Someone with more knowledge than me may have more correct details about which one to order, but if you need a working one to get you going, you can deal with accuracy later. Besides the tranny, other factors affect accuracy...rear-end ratio and tire size.

If the old part that you say is still in your transmission still has the gear attached, you could be ahead of the game. Somewhere in my man cave I have an old assembly hanging on a wall, but it has been there so long, I can't remember what vehicle it came from. If you have the manuals for your car, you should be able to find a part number that would be a big help in buying a new cable.

When you get a chance, post a picture, we're picture addicts around here. Again, Welcome to the forum!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
    X