Dash paint for a '50 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Dash paint for a '50 Champion

I'm having the interior in a '50 Champion done, and while it is apart I'd like to paint the window garnish moldings as well as the windshield moldings. I see some vendors have "Loma Grey" paint for '53, but I haven't seen any dash/interior paint for a '50. Is the '50 the same color as the '53 (it's so badly faded that I can't really compare it to my '53 Commander).

Thanks
    Howard - Los Angeles chapter SDC
    '53 Commander Starliner (Finally running and driving, but still in process)
    '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)
    '62 GT Hawk (4 speed, A/C, Power steering - running and DRIVING!)

I believe it is a color with no name. When we did our '50 25 years ago I had the paint shop match the existing color. You will be able to find parts of the interior that has not aged or faded under the chrome trim pieces, back of the glove box door, or something like that.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champion
    \'50 Starlight Champion
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

I actually think I found my 50 Champion (sort of burgundy) interior color under the paper warnings plaque or sticker,,, on the inside of the glove box door....YEA 60 years later it's still there.

Comment

Howard, the color is in an old TW cooperator question many years back. I had a quart of it, although, I am sure it has dried up after 25 yrs. Convertibles were body color, closed cars were a gun metal like grey.

Looking at the TW index I think it is in one of these two issues:
        9/78 pg 34
        or
        7/1988 pg 38

Mark

Comment

The color changed every year also. 50 was a darker gun metal, 51 was a lighter gun metal, with a little tan in it, and 52 was a non metallic grey.

Totally different from the 53 color.
          Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-22-2013, 09:12 PM.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Does anyone know who makes a spray can with the proper color for the '50?
            '56 Golden Hawk (3 speed/overdrive, Power steering - Running, but not yet driving)

Comment

Originally posted by brngarage View Post
              Does anyone know who makes a spray can with the proper color for the '50?
              sorry for the "piggyback", but i could use the same info for the lighter gray '51.
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

No, I do not believe that Color is needed enough for special spray cans to be produced.

If it is one of the Brown/Gray tone Colors that most of those early Cars were it should be easy to take a sample piece like the ash tray or glove box door after cleaning it to the Home Depot, Lowe's, ACE Hardware, Paint Store etc. and match it to their huge spray Can selection.

Burgundy? was it factory repainted over a Convertible glove box door or replaced with one?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yep...Burgundy---OK kind of a dark red color. Everywhere I look that darker red color shows up on the 1950 Champion four door--inside the gas door, inside the door hinge holes, under the paper on the inside of the glove box. Even some up under the dash. So I'm guessing it's the original color. How would I know for sure? Is there a paint code in one of the 3 manuals I have for the car? Is there a paint code on the car? How would I know? Thank you

Comment

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...5&d=1371007408 This was pretty much the color I matched up when the car was bought. Rick

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                      Yep...Burgundy---OK kind of a dark red color. Everywhere I look that darker red color shows up on the 1950 Champion four door--inside the gas door, inside the door hinge holes, under the paper on the inside of the glove box. Even some up under the dash. So I'm guessing it's the original color. How would I know for sure? Is there a paint code in one of the 3 manuals I have for the car? Is there a paint code on the car? How would I know? Thank you
                      The only 1950 cars that had the dash painted the color of the car were convertibles. It's most likely that some previous owner painted the dashboard the burgundy - dark red color. You could order the production order and see if someone special ordered the car that way, but it's 99.44% likely that it was done after the fact by someone who a) did not know, b) did not care about authenticity, and c) just wanted to spruce the car up.

When buying a 60 year old car, it's easy to think that the way you received it is the way it always was. But that's not always the case.

In your picture, the door handle is painted. For sure they did not do that when the car was new. That may have been something that you did, and there's no problem with that. But it illustrates my point. Someone in the future buying the car might think that was original simply because it looks good and it's the only one they have ever seen.

If you want to investigate your dashboard color more closely, remove some of the instruments and look at the edges of the dash that were covered by the chrome parts. Take off the glove box door and look at the other side of the hinges or where the hinge attaches. Take the trim off the bottom of the dash and look underneath that. The dashboards were painted at the factory before they had the gauges installed, and before the assembled dash was put into the car. There is no dashboard color overspray anywhere on the car or the mounting bolts, or anywhere else.

You can usually tell a repaint by looking at small things like corners, colors under chips in the paint, overspray, looking underneath things that are attached, and so forth.
                      Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-21-2013, 10:56 AM.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

I looked at the picture again.

Did I misinterpret the entire thread? I thought you were saying that the dashboard was painted dark red. That's what I was replying to. If you are talking about the car exterior color and not the dashboard color, then... never mind.

Comment

The original question I asked was whether the '53 dash is the same color as the '50. Since the answers indicate it is not, the current question is where I can get paint (preferably a spray can) in the correct color for a '50 Champion dash. Thanks to everyone for the contributions.

Comment

While I now use base clear for exterior work, for small jobs like dash or touching up firewall, I go to one of 3 local paint shops who will mix single stage to match and rattle can it for around $15 a can. For that I get it right and don't spend days looking for a sorta match. It doesn't dry as fast as off the shelf cans but the outcome is better .

Comment

boshoss61; The Studebaker Dark Red Maroon Color was a solid color, I see this Car is painted with a Candy kind of transparent paint and looks like it could be Metallic, much brighter, so not even close to the Factory color look.
                              Of course the base clear paint always does look too flat and too shinny with no orange peal like the original Baking Enamel used at the Factory, so the color will never match.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                              X