Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1952 Champion carb ANYONE have a good(great) WE carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 1952 Champion carb ANYONE have a good(great) WE carb?

Does anyone have a good WE carb for my car? I really think my carb is a big part of the problems I'm having.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

If you have no luck with your request here check with Dave Thibeault, he may have one rebuilt exchange.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

My carb is a 989 WE Carter , I have a 53 intake on my 52 Champion for some reason.
      1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

Then you want a carb from 53-57 or so. The base is totally different than a 47-52 carb.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Roy, I am looking for the right 52 manifold now. Seems mine was replaced before my ownership. I might be having the motor rebuilt in the not to distant future. My longtime mechanic is back working again now out of his home after closing down during his wife's terminal illness. George is awesome and old school. I told him of all the problems I'm having with the Champion. He is suspecting low compression. He is going to check it out for me next week. I told George that the car will roll on a slope even in first gear, (as you recall I have no emergency brakes right now) George said that it is a telltale sign of weak compression. So, if I have to go thru all of this I want the car right with the right intake.
          Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          Then you want a carb from 53-57 or so. The base is totally different than a 47-52 carb.

Comment

I guess when it rolls in first gear you have the overdrive locked out? I always parked my 52 in reverse in case I forgot about the overdrive.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

52Fan, no I don't have it locked out of overdrive. This is the first car I've had with overdrive. I told George over the phone it rolled in 1st gear and he said "OH you've lost compression." I always had used the emergency brake when I parked. Then while at the last shop they screwed with the brakes and now I have no emergency brake. I'm use to my Ford pickups that I put in 1st when I park. So the Champion will roll in gear? I did not know that. I have been putting it in reverse when parking. I have been running about 45lbs of oil pressure when hot at 50-55mph, it drops to 20 at hot idle. I know it's quiet as can be when running, no noises of any kind. The smoking is getting less I notice. Maybe I won't need a rebuild immediately like I was talking myself into. I think it sitting for over a 1 1/2 yrs was hard on it. It sure won't start on my old Autolite plugs. I have these new longer NGK plugs that put the spark down into the chamber. I was told by this last mechanic that is what I needed to get it to start easier. I've heard so much BS from mechanics I could choke.
              Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
              I guess when it rolls in first gear you have the overdrive locked out? I always parked my 52 in reverse in case I forgot about the overdrive.

Comment

You should always park an overdrive equipped car in reverse.

1. it automatically disengages the overdrive without any further thought or action on the driver's part
                2. it has the greatest numerical ratio, so the effect of motor compression is the greatest in reverse

Overdrive transmissions have a freewheeling function when they are below overdrive cut-in speed. Parking an overdrive equipped car in first or second or third will allow the car to roll and it will act as if there is no compression holding the car from rolling.

Of course, the best test for compression is a good old compression test with a gauge. That's the way to tell what the compression actually is.

In any case, you should be parking in reverse.
                Last edited by RadioRoy; 06-21-2013, 10:41 AM.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

Thanks Roy, I had a dry compression done at the last garage. 5 Cylinders were at 110lbs one was 95 but they thought it was because of it sitting and washed down . I will say a lot of my smoke is subsiding and I plan for a new carburetor immediately. I have 53/54 intakes on my car, it came that way to me. Would you keep it that way?? I was going to have it changed back as original but another member here on the forum said the 53/54 intakes were better and the WE 989 carb was more readily available. What are your thoughts??????????
                  Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                  You should always park an overdrive equipped car in reverse.

1. it automatically disengages the overdrive without any further thought or action on the driver's part
                  2. it has the greatest numerical ratio, so the effect of motor compression is the greatest in reverse

Overdrive transmissions have a freewheeling function when they are below overdrive cut-in speed. Parking an overdrive equipped car in first or second or third will allow the car to roll and it will act as if there is no compression holding the car from rolling.

Of course, the best test for compression is a good old compression test with a gauge. That's the way to tell what the compression actually is.

In any case, you should be parking in reverse.

Comment

In my opinion, your compression is just fine. I wish mine were that good.

I have little or no experience with the 53 and newer Champion carburetors, so no opinion on them versus the earlier type.

Comment

Working...
                    X