Trunk latching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Dwain - That was exactly the problem! After a ton of diddling, adjusting, lengthening, shortening, head scratching and sweating, I took the catch off and went to the grinder this afternoon. I kept trying it by hand and it was just too tight in that U fitting latch. I reduced the diameter best I could with the grinder and it works like a charm.
    Thanks, everyone, for the ideas!

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Tom, I think I see what's going on. The catch (part attached to trunk lid) is the wrong one. The horizontal part of the catch that fits into the latch needs to be a smaller diameter on its LEFT side. The right side is slightly larger and won't fit into the latch. The catch shown in your photo has the smaller diameter on the right side.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    68 fastback would be fine. Check the latch mechanism for the spring on the cable return. If it stays in the unlatched position, it will hit everything just fine, but not latch.

Leave a comment:

• 63r2
    replied
    I guess you could set it up without the rubber and then re install it once it is working.
    Can you see where it is trying to latch on the striker? Maybe its to close to the vertical section and that is fouling the mechanism.
    Is the striker sitting flush inside the latch ie not on an angle which would prevent the latch from fully latching?

Bez What year mustang is a suitable replacement for the trunk rubber?
    pb

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I found a latch from a 15 year old Thunderbird at the wrecking yard today and I'm adapting it to fit.
    Will post a pic when it's on IF it works. :-)

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    The latch looks to be in the correct position. The striker is way too long. The right side of the striker (facing forward) should fit into the center of the latch "pocket". With that length of striker, it should latch with the trunk open a couple of inches! Don't waste your time trying to find an alternative!
    Remove the striker and place it into the latch in the position described, and it should latch. Then project that position upward to the trunk lid to determine where and how it should mount. The striker can be tilted sideways to strike the pocket properly with the right side. The latch does have some lateral adjustment to allow you to straighten the striker to the vertical position.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

[/URL]

A little hard to see, but the catch is a LOT longer than it should be and when it's closed, it rests in the 'pocket' of the latch, but just won't engage the claw. I can sit on the trunk lid (almost) and it still doesn't click.

Going to a wrecking yard today to see if I can find something close to use.

Leave a comment:

• bezhawk
    replied
    Throw the rubber away if it is too firm. Replace it with one for a Mustang for $15 and be happy. If the Stude vendors won't offer the correct part it's necessary to use outside suppliers.

Look through the package compartment trap door with the lid closed, and see where the striker is in relation to the catch. Not only does the catch need to be long enough, it has to be centered too.
    Also make sure you haven't flipped it in it's mounting, and that it faces inward towards the car.

Leave a comment:

• 63r2
    replied
    Originally posted by tomnoller View Post
    I assumed since Jon Myer sent me the U shaped piece, it'd be the right one for my car. I don't know...
    Yes, it closes on the catch when I'm pushing it in, without being bolted on the trunk, Joe. I have the new trunk seal but don't know if the rear had any repair work done. It looks 'factory' back there.

I have even gone so far as to weld on an extension with bolt holes, to the U piece, but it still won't click shut.
    Even got the new pull cable that actuates the lock and it works sweet. Will post some pics tomorrow of both sides of the issue.
    Sorry, I miss read the post. Yes if Myers send you the part it should be correct. It does sound odd that you had to lengthen the part and it still won't lock.
    It would be interesting to see the photos.
    pb

Leave a comment:

• WCP
    replied
    The trunk seal goes on with the slit or opening toward the inside, pointing at the trunk opening fence. Some seal material is quite stiff and has to be compressed significantly to latch. A good approach involves removing the striker, closing the trunk lid and placing a heavy weight on the lid to compress the seal. I've used an anti-slip mat and and a couple of large cement blocks. Leave these sit there for at least a week and then remove and attach the striker at the highest position. The latch should catch, if properly aligned, with a heavy slam. Then gradually lower the striker in small increments, until you are satisfied with the lid to body alignment. This may take a few weeks. If you smell exhaust gas initially, then the striker has to be lowered some, to at least effect a seal before much driving. Don't be afraid to give the trunk lid a really forceful slam.
    If the seal is on backwards (slit out), then the trunk lid will never close and latch.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I assumed since Jon Myer sent me the U shaped piece, it'd be the right one for my car. I don't know...
    Yes, it closes on the catch when I'm pushing it in, without being bolted on the trunk, Joe. I have the new trunk seal but don't know if the rear had any repair work done. It looks 'factory' back there.

I have even gone so far as to weld on an extension with bolt holes, to the U piece, but it still won't click shut.
    Even got the new pull cable that actuates the lock and it works sweet. Will post some pics tomorrow of both sides of the issue.

Leave a comment:

• 63r2
    replied
    Do you have the correct U shaped piece.
    I'm not 100% sure as I haven't compare 2 side by side but the Avanti one looks a different shape or atleast different to my Hawk one.
    pb

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Does the catch pop it shut with it in your hand ?,was some repair work done to the back of the car,do you have new re-pro trunk seal ?

Leave a comment:

guest_started_a_topic_y_with_prefix

Trunk latching

I've spent tons of time trying to fix what previous owners have screwed up on my 63 Avanti.
    One of them is the trunk latching. When I got the car, there was nothing bolted to the trunk lid to catch the latch.
    Jon Myer sent me the gizmo that goes there; a U-shaped catch that is supposed to go into the latching mechanism.

After much fiddling around, adjusting things up, down and sideways... looking at things thru the package shelf door, I am convinced the latching mechanism is plumb worn out. I can get it to snap shut with a screwdriver, but the catch won't pop it shut, no matter how I adjust things.

I don't suppose another car's mechanism will work in the '63 Avanti..? Has anyone else had this issue? sheesh. Thanks!
Working...
X