Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skyway
    replied
    "find a c/k car from 1958-64 with a V-8 and either 3 speed or 4 speed and get every thing from it engine"

Agreed, a great idea, and while you are grabbing that stuff, just don't forget to get with the V-8 brakes too!

Leave a comment:

• candbstudebakers
    replied
    Dan, since your car is a 120" wheel base car remove the engine , trans, and rear end, and find a c/k car from 1958-64 with a V-8 and either 3 speed or 4 speed and get every thing from it engine, clutch, bell housing, drive shaft, 44 rear end and rear end "U" bolts and bottom plates then you are ready to go, trying all these other things will take time and money and a lot of running around, what about the guy in Colorado that had the GT with this set up???...Bob

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
    Hold on a minute here. If you have a six and an earlier post mentioned that a V8 trans, T86, will not bolt up behind it even if using a V8 bellhousing, then have you not just jumped the gun a little. If you had a later 185 or even 59 to 64 six there is an adapter plate but it will not work for earlier than 55 sixes. I have gone through this my self and if you have access to a good machine shop an plate can be made or even re-drilling an original plate for the earlier short block six.

Once you have the plate and a Studebaker V8 bellhousing there are a few Ford and AMC transmissions that will bolt up to it but it's not that simple. Many small modifications have to be made. I have done these before so can help out.

If you want any more details let me know.

If I am misunderstanding your original intentions please forgive me.
    I plan to throw a V8 in this car, and was wondering if there was any chance I could use the original six. But as I had already guessed it's a much weaker trans.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hold on a minute here. If you have a six and an earlier post mentioned that a V8 trans, T86, will not bolt up behind it even if using a V8 bellhousing, then have you not just jumped the gun a little. If you had a later 185 or even 59 to 64 six there is an adapter plate but it will not work for earlier than 55 sixes. I have gone through this my self and if you have access to a good machine shop an plate can be made or even re-drilling an original plate for the earlier short block six.

Once you have the plate and a Studebaker V8 bellhousing there are a few Ford and AMC transmissions that will bolt up to it but it's not that simple. Many small modifications have to be made. I have done these before so can help out.

If you want any more details let me know.

If I am misunderstanding your original intentions please forgive me.

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    So can I use the motor and trans out of a hawk, can I still use my two piece driveshaft? Or will the tranny be too long?

Leave a comment:

• PlainBrownR2
    replied
    OK I had so one tell me that the long tail shaft trannies will not work in my car without swapping drive shafts which I planned on doing anyway, but he also said there is a cross member where the two piece drive shafts meet. Two questions, can I and should try to reuse the two piece drive shaft in my swap? He seemed to think so, but it seems like a bad idea. To me. Can I just cut this out and make a brace in it's place, or is that even necessary? As I mentioned the guy here in town has a truck tranny connected to a 259. I don't know what tranny it is all he said was that it's bell housing can be used in a T5 swap. Is there a way I could use this tranny or would it be a fight everytime I took her out to play? And even if it worked well for what I want, could I even mount it? I 've got parts and chassis books for the 53 and gt hawk on the way so I'll soon be answering my own dumb questions soon enough.

Regarding the two piece driveshaft, the forum has beat on this quite a few times in the past(1 piece vs 2 piece). I dunno about your fabrication skills, but when I swapped my 259 to a 289 in my '55 hardtop, I just switched over the engines, dial indicated the original T-86 3 spd tranny in the car, and left it like that. I know the underpinnings for the 53-64's is the same or similar for the C/K's, but over those years, they made a whole host of changes underneath, that you'll have to undo or redo, to get from a 2 piece to a 1 piece driveshaft. Since I didn't know all that went into going into a 1 piece, I made it easy on myself and just used my tranny and 2 piece driveshaft that were original to the car, to save me a whole lotta grief in converting to a 1 piece driveshaft. I'm not trying to run anyone off from doing it, just know that with the engineering under there, that not all of those model years are built alike.

Anyway, the brace you're referring to under there that's in the center of the 2 piece driveshaft is the center bearing, or carrier bearing. That's where the driveshaft links up on the cars, and if it hasn't gotten any attention in a good long time, should probably be greased and inspected.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Originally posted by GThawkwind View Post
    Also if I had say a stude T86 V8 bell housing could I find a good BW out of a a brand X, and swap it in?
    You got any Ramblers in your local Pick-A-Part?

The Truck Bellhousing the man offered only fits Truck Rear Engine Mounts and Trucks, the Trans. may work with the correct Car Bell Housing. It will have the Truck ratios listed in post #7, Low gets you about 8 or 10 Feet!

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    Also if I had say a stude T86 V8 bell housing could I find a good BW out of a a brand X, and swap it in?

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    OK I had so one tell me that the long tail shaft trannies will not work in my car without swapping drive shafts which I planned on doing anyway, but he also said there is a cross member where the two piece drive shafts meet. Two questions, can I and should try to reuse the two piece drive shaft in my swap? He seemed to think so, but it seems like a bad idea. To me. Can I just cut this out and make a brace in it's place, or is that even necessary? As I mentioned the guy here in town has a truck tranny connected to a 259. I don't know what tranny it is all he said was that it's bell housing can be used in a T5 swap. Is there a way I could use this tranny or would it be a fight everytime I took her out to play? And even if it worked well for what I want, could I even mount it? I 've got parts and chassis books for the 53 and gt hawk on the way so I'll soon be answering my own dumb questions soon enough.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    You're right. It's been a few years since I had a t-86 out.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    You just pull the side cover off,
    ??? Don't the shift forks have to come out through the top cover? My T86s don't have a side cover.

jack vines
    Last edited by PackardV8; 06-18-2013, 03:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    There is no linkage. You just pull the side cover off, remove the shift forks and plug those holes. Then you pull the top cover and install the shifer with its forks. You have to elongate the two rear holes about 3/16" to fit the T-86 case. Also need to cut the low/reverse shift fork of and move it back 3/16".

If you have O/D you need to weld a little plate on it so when shifting into reverse it will work normally. Without this plate you have to pull the O/D handle out every time you want to back up.

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
    Nobody has mentioned, you can put a floor shifter on a t-86 by just getting the top shifter from a Jeep t-90. It's nearly a direct bolt-on.
    Wow thanks! We have a ton of old mail jeeps in the local pick and pull. I could still use a use a hurst shifter stalk for the "look" or I bet this linkage plus a hurst shifter could work out.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Andrews
    replied
    Nobody has mentioned, you can put a floor shifter on a t-86 by just getting the top shifter from a Jeep t-90. It's nearly a direct bolt-on.

Leave a comment:

• GThawkwind
    replied
    Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post

To try to make it easier to downshift the wide-ratio truck gears from second to first, it was given a straight cut low gear and a straight spline shaft.

To make the car easier to speed-whoop from first to second in a drag race, it was given bevel cut low gear and a spiral splined shaft.

jack vines
    That's what he said the reason why wouldn't be good for a hot rod was, So still what's the verdict on whether or not the truck tranny would work? And would higher HP and fun driving kill the t86 or not? Should I just find a four speed?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X