Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gordr
    replied
    Well, I dug out the 232 flywheel, and cleaned it off with a disc sander. Really wasn't that bad, so I installed it and new old rebuilt clutch disc and cover I had one hand. So the bellhousing is buttoned up. Now to give the transmission a quick go-over, and I can install the whole assembly in the car.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Gord, I stuck a 259 in a 63 Lark sedan that previously had the OHV-6, then cobbled together the clutch, bellhousing and T-86 OD from parts friends gave me. I wound up with one of those older bellhousings and realized the clutch wasn't going to spin without hitting points on the inside of the housing.
    Being the cheap-o I am, I ground down those spots with a stone on my drill AND used some washers between the housing and the back of the engine! I know, I know... shame on me. :-) It worked and I drove that car many miles without trouble.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Well, I looked through my stock of flywheels and bellhousings, and the only six-volt flywheel with the small clutch I can find is the one that came out of the car, which is scored and heat-checked. So I guess I will have to take it off the 232, and have it machined.

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Yes Gord I have had a '53 6V coarse toothed Ring Gear installed on a New '56 V8 Flywheel by getting it heated in an industrial oven and tapped on with the reverse done to remove the '56 fine toothed Ring Gear.

That was a long time ago, now the Car is back to the 12 Volt setup due to 12 to 1+ Compression 289 3/8" popup Pistons.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    That's so refreshing, doing it "right". Wish the guys at the garage next door would take a lesson. They installed my pertronics and coil, wired the coil backwards, then boosted my 6V car with a 12V booster pack. Two weeks later, I've replaced the voltage regulator to get it charging again, re-wired the coil and it now runs about as good as it did before I sent it to them for "improvements". Waiting for a new dizzy from Dave Thibeault and then the 4 bbl goes on. Whew! May as well do it myself...with help from SDC, of course. You guys are terrific.

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    Oh, I know that. Just figured I could do it "right" for a change.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Your results may vary, but I've used 6 volt starters on 12 volts with success. If the engine is well tuned, the starter doesn't have to spin long, plus it will spin VERY fast.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    replied
    I may well wind up doing that. Will the ring gears interchange? The car is also going to 12 volts, per owner's request, so I would like to use a 12 volt starter.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Gord, as you know, the early small diameter clutch will survive with normal driving. Why not consider just using that? You say you have one good small flywheel and the original one can probably be resurfaced as well. I do them all the time which are ugly going in, but grinding on a proper flywheel surfacer makes them good as new. Doesn't take long, doesn't cost much. Usually $25-50 will git 'er done.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• gordr
    started a topic Clutch / Torque Converter: Clutch choice for engine swap?

Clutch choice for engine swap?

I am in the midst of swapping a '61 259 into a '51 Commander, which used to have a 232. The clutch and flywheel that came with the 232 are basically junk. I wanted to use the original bellhousing so I could keep the original overdrive transmission; later bellhousings have too large a center hole. So I centered the old bellhousing on the new block, and the old dowel pin holes were close enough to use as-is. Bonus. I bolted on the '61 flywheel and clutch, which are both in fine condition. Uh-oh! The 232 bellhousing is too small to accommodate the later clutch cover.

Is there a lower-profile clutch cover in the Studebaker world that will bolt up to a 12-volt flywheel, AND have clearance in the old bellhousing? Or can I use a '56 - '57 bellhousing, if they are roomier than the '51 - '55?

I do have an N.O.S. small V8 clutch on hand, but I would have to re-drill the flywheel. Laying out the holes to get them exactly in the right place would be a challenge, but I think I can handle it. Or will a 12-volt ring gear mount on a six-volt flywheel? I might have a decent, non heat-checked small flywheel on hand, too.
Working...
X