Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

52 Champion, loose wire under hood. Where does it go.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I added a small container of ZDDP and 16ozs of Lucas Oil Stabilizer too. I will go to 20W-50 as I run in my old Mercedes.
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    The Low end of the Multi-weight Oil 5W, for cold Temps. is way too low for a 40's to '60's Tech. Engine, use 20W-50 or at least 10W-30, never LESS.
    Certainly NOT in Texas Climates.

Not to mention that Delo Diesel no longer has sufficient ZDDP additive for Flat Tappet Engines to protect the Camshaft and Lifters.
    1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

My regular mechanic George is back after losing his wife to cancer. I had to find a different mechanic for 2 years as George closed down and cared for his lovely wife. George and I go way back. He grew up on flatheads. I called him and I'll be taking the car to him. He feels that some rings are stuck. I told him how the car now rolls if I leave it in 1st gear. I presently have no parking brake. It didn't use to roll in 1st. George says I have a compression issue. He questions if the carb is warped somewhere that leads to its sporadic behavior. He thinks I should probably remove the new stainless fuel line behind the front wheel and go to a rubber fuel line and route it away from the motor as much as possible since he questions vapor lock. I tried to get to his home 25 miles away today to leave him my car. He now works out of his home, but the Champion started pumping gas out of the carb and quit running. I walked home about a mile, walked back later tapped the carb with a rubber mallet (per George) and the fool thing started up and got me back home.
      1942 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan * 1952 Studebaker Champion Regal * 1954 Studebaker Commander Regal Starlight * 1967 Thunderbird Hdtp * 1969 Continental Mark III * 1969 Mercury Marquis convertible * 1972 Buick Riviera * 1973 Continental Mark IV * 1978 Glass Top Lincoln Town Car * 1983 Mercedes 300SD * 1986 Dodge RAM 4WD * 1999 Infiniti Q45

Comment

oil leak

Originally posted by poweroptions View Post
        My Champion was still cutting out under load. I have been noticing it puff blue smoke on start up. It never did that before it's 1 1/2 years at the mechanics garage. I pulled the new NGK plugs tonight that the shop installed and they are fouled, black and sooty. My old Autolite plugs that were pulled 1 1/2yrs ago are in the parts box in the trunk. They are nice and light greyish. No sootiness. I don't know what the hell has taken place with my car but I don't think it's good. Every time I give it gas I get a noticeable puff of blue smoke. The oil pressure isn't what it use to be either. It still runs about 45-50lbs going down the roadit use to be 55-60lbs, but when hot at idle it now is dropping to 20lbs. It use to drop to 35-40 before the extended stay at the shop. What's do you all think. Is it valve guides our bad rings?? It still sounds good, nice and quiet when idling. Another thing when I drove it home the head bolts were not tight. The shop had taken off the spark plug wire bracket and then forgot to tighten the head bolts I guess. I got home and oil was leaking out of the head, I tightened those 2 bolts. Now I also notice quite a bit of oil leaking from all around the valve inspection covers that side of the motor is wet too. I'm wish like hell I knew of a Stude mechanic in the D/FW area or east Texas area. All and any ideas are greatly appreciated. My Champion is probably my favorite car of all of them.
        Your breather cap looks prestene however pull it off check it for debris plugged breather will cause serious oil leaks.
        As far as the arrant wire I am conviced it is the OD relay. In the photo there appears to be only one wire on the + side of the coil, there should be two, one to the dist and one to the OD. Dave British Columbia

Comment

There was gas in the oil. The oil reeked of gas. I think my carb is a big problem. It has been rebuilt 4 times now. Twice by FLASHBACK here on the site, once by George 3 years ago and then by the last shop that had it. There it got another new needle and seat. It will be fine one minute and then the next gas will be running out of it, the car floods out and gas is dumping out on the manifold. I have a fire extinquisher at all times on the front seat. I have fought starting and driving this car for nearly 3 years never knowing if I'm going to get anywhere or I'd get home in it. I did hook that wire up to the distributor I studied the diagram and listened to you all on here and I to am pretty sure that is where it went. My breather cap is open and clean. I have no blow by when the Stude is running and little blow by from the draft tube.

Comment

I can only get the car to run with the deeper NGK plugs. I installed my old Autolites and it would not hit a lick. The NGK in it have about 3/8" more thread so set deeper in the head. I put them back in and it fires right off, until the carb acts crazy and pukes gas .
            Last edited by poweroptions; 06-19-2013, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Gawd, I feel your pain. Mine is starting to miss again, too (still waiting for new distributor to arrive). One thing I noticed is that the wire from the coil is going to my positive post on the battery. All indications are that it is to go to ignition switch (which should be negative on a positive ground car). It's a wonder it runs at all. Time to put my service manual on the photocopier and blow up that wiring diagram. Too many different people have worked on my car and none of them seem to be able to ask for advice or read a manual. I'll keep you posted, poweroptions.
              Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

The carb problem sounds like a float is leaking, thus filled with gas, it no longer floats.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I think Brad is on to something here. If this " heavy float" is your problem it could in turn cause your plugs to gas foul and cause the engine to run worse.
                  Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                  The carb problem sounds like a float is leaking, thus filled with gas, it no longer floats.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Dave, yes sounds like we share the same with inept mechanics. I give these guys the manual, tell them to read it. Instead they think they know it all, then I have given the last guys my sign in info for this GREAT website. Told them to ask questions. Not once did they refer to the site here. I am glad my car is home and I have made more progress by myself listening to the members here and devouring my manual. It's laying on my nightstand now. Fell asleep with it in my hands last night.
                    Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                    Gawd, I feel your pain. Mine is starting to miss again, too (still waiting for new distributor to arrive). One thing I noticed is that the wire from the coil is going to my positive post on the battery. All indications are that it is to go to ignition switch (which should be negative on a positive ground car). It's a wonder it runs at all. Time to put my service manual on the photocopier and blow up that wiring diagram. Too many different people have worked on my car and none of them seem to be able to ask for advice or read a manual. I'll keep you posted, poweroptions.

Comment

arrrgh. These problems deserve a separate thread. Was going to re-route my ignition wiring, tonight, but another loser has my boat and I'm going to pick THAT up and fix it myself. Ran great last season. A "boat" guy shrunk wrapped it and fogged the outboard last fall. I phoned him this spring and asked him if he wanted to unwrap it. What could go wrong? charged the battery and dropped the boat off. Went back a week later and found them using my battery to start other boats. He had the cowl off and said the starter is shot. Bang marks all over it (he was the last guy to start it). Left it for another week, went out at noon and my battery was switched out, again! No respect for other people's property. As for the Stude...garage next door replaced my brand new master cylinder last year when the brakes were locking up after they fixed a loose front shoe retainer. Spent all summer with brake drag until one of my clients made a call and told them that the reach rod needs to be backed off. I told them that at the beginning of the season after posting here, on the forum and getting that sound advice. They ruined one pertronics unit two years ago. This year they swapped the coil and a new pertronics unit. The box had Phil Harris' number on it and I told them to call him if they had problems. Nope. Did it themselves and now I have to fix their work. If I did that to my clients I would be reported to the Law Society. It's so refreshing to come on here and get help from people who have respect for the cars and the drivers and do it without expectations or remuneration. I know who I trust.
                      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

A good way to check for a leaking float is to hold it submerged into a container of very hot water. (use pliers) The water will heat the air in the float, and if there is a leak it will bubble.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Dave, I've been following your post. I'm going to check my timing now. I question if the last mechanic hasn't screwed around with it. My car never had a miss before in the years I've owned it. Second I've rebuilt and replaced everything I can think of to get it to turn over and start. I'm going to take the advice you received and ground it straight to the starter. I'm tired of getting no respect and the answer 'Oh your car is old what do you expect?" Good luck on yours !

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                          arrrgh. These problems deserve a separate thread. Was going to re-route my ignition wiring, tonight, but another loser has my boat and I'm going to pick THAT up and fix it myself. Ran great last season. A "boat" guy shrunk wrapped it and fogged the outboard last fall. I phoned him this spring and asked him if he wanted to unwrap it. What could go wrong? charged the battery and dropped the boat off. Went back a week later and found them using my battery to start other boats. He had the cowl off and said the starter is shot. Bang marks all over it (he was the last guy to start it). Left it for another week, went out at noon and my battery was switched out, again! No respect for other people's property. As for the Stude...garage next door replaced my brand new master cylinder last year when the brakes were locking up after they fixed a loose front shoe retainer. Spent all summer with brake drag until one of my clients made a call and told them that the reach rod needs to be backed off. I told them that at the beginning of the season after posting here, on the forum and getting that sound advice. They ruined one pertronics unit two years ago. This year they swapped the coil and a new pertronics unit. The box had Phil Harris' number on it and I told them to call him if they had problems. Nope. Did it themselves and now I have to fix their work. If I did that to my clients I would be reported to the Law Society. It's so refreshing to come on here and get help from people who have respect for the cars and the drivers and do it without expectations or remuneration. I know who I trust.

Comment

Working...
                          X