No Turn Signals!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: No Turn Signals!

I got a late start this season in getting my '61 V8 Lark Wagon ready for the road. She fired right up, but for the first time in 25 years - no turn signals at all. The exterior lights don't even come on and stay on, like when a bulb is out. Completely dead!!

Here's what I've done so far - and I've no electrical aptitude: Replaced the blinker relay with a few others - no luck. Took off the steering wheel and cleaned all the little contacts in the directional switching mechanism - no luck. Checked for voltage at the blinker mechanism - getting 12v at the center-right terminal only.

Any ideas where I should look for the problem?

Much appreciated!

--Paul

Did you check the Bulbs themselves?

If the Sockets are dirty or corroded you will not complete the circuit.

Make sure you get the correct 2 prong flasher..

There should be voltage to one of the pins when the key is 'On'.

When the lever is placed to left or right, it completes the circuit for that set of front/back bulbs.
    As the bulbs draw current, the flasher senses it and breaks contact, hence that sound. It is sort of like a circuit breaker that resets it self..

For the "Brake Lights", Key 'Off' and step on the Brake.
    Do they Both light up?
    If NO. Stop and check the Brake Light circuit!
    Jumper the two red wires on the brake light switch to bypass pressing on the brake. If that helps, replace the brake light switch!
    Note: Check the fuse on the back of the Head Light switch.
    If yes, turn the Direction switch to the left, press the brake. Did just the right turn on?
    If yes, turn the Direction switch to the right, press the brake. Did just the left turn on?

If so then the wire is fine for your turn signals.
    Last edited by SScopelli; 06-13-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
      /Cut/For the tail lights, Key 'Off' and step on the Brake.
      Do they Both light up?
      If yes, turn the Direction switch to the left, press the brake. Did just the right turn on?
      If yes, turn the Direction switch to the right, press the brake. Did just the left turn on?
      If so then the wire is fine for your turn signals.
      Make that: "Brake Lights", to check the Turn Signal Switch and circuit which of course are the same High bulb filaments that the Turn Indicators use, and yes they are in the Tail Light Housings, but for this test we are testing the BRAKE Lights.
      Tail Lights can be tested with the Parking or Head Lights on, to check the ground on the Tail Light Housings, Bulb Sockets and Bulbs.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

OK. Performed all of the above listed tests and the car passed them all, and -- STILL NO turn signals!! I'm using a proven working blinker-relay; bulb filaments are good; sockets showing solid ground; brake lights work as prescribed. Does the turn-signal circuit have a fuse?? What's throwing me is that, in my experience, when the front or the back bulb is shot when using the directionals, the other bulb comes on and stays on and doesn't trip the relay. I've got NOTHING coming on with the turn-signals engaged.

Any ideas??

Thanks!!

--Paul

Comment

Yes the turn signals have a fuse.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Thanks, Frank! Now, do you happen to know WHERE that fuse might be found under the dash of a '61 Lark?

--Paul

Comment

If memory serves there should be a panel with two fuses right by the flasher to the left of the steering column. One of those two fuses is for the turn signals.
              Originally posted by pgothard View Post
              Thanks, Frank! Now, do you happen to know WHERE that fuse might be found under the dash of a '61 Lark?

--Paul
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

41 Frank is correct, the 2nd. Fuse is the Stop and Dome Light.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hand Signals! Horn Broken, watch for FINGER!

Comment

Working...
                  X