No announcement yet.

Fabrication work to add headrests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Fabrication work to add headrests?

Some questions from Mr. In-da-dark, here:

1. Do all '59-66 Studes with front benches have brackets for headrests?
    2. Are these for single-support headrests?
    3. How hard would it be for a good interior shop to adapt donor headrests (since originals are hard to come by) to this set up without really messing up the uphostery?
    4. Any donor type that looks like it could be vintage?

[IMG]http://thumbnails104.********.com/25979/e20e19259780219.jpg[/IMG]

headrest from '69 Camaro with single support

Your thoughts appreciated
    Last edited by drpreposterous; 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM.

I don't know if they are available anymore, but years ago there were "over the back of the seat" add-on headrests available. Basically they just slipped a metal frame over the back of the seat like those kiddy car seats my parents put me at risk in back in the late 50's. Maybe J.C. Whitney still sells them???

Otherwise your "donor" headrest will probably have to have the holding mechanism cannibalized from the donor seat. Then your existing seat will have to be de-upholstered, the mechanism welded in and the upholstery reapplied.

Tom
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by drpreposterous View Post
      Some questions from Mr. In-da-dark, here:

1. Do all '59-66 Studes with front benches have brackets for headrests?
      2. Are these for single-support headrests?
      3. How hard would it be for a good interior shop to adapt donor headrests (since originals are hard to come by) to this set up without really messing up the uphostery?
      4. Any donor type that looks like it could be vintage?
      Your thoughts appreciated
      Brackets for the headrests are part of the headrest accessory. They screw to the back part of the seat frame.
      They are single support headrests that look much like the Camaro headrest you have, but I don't know if they will work in the Studebaker brackets/receptacles.
      Thumbnails show the headrest assembly in my '64 Daytona Wagonaire. Earlier models had a straight support rather than the crooked one like in my car.
      Attached Files
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up Dr.P, I notice that my car originally came with a passenger head rest and I was interested in reinstalling a headrest, but I wasn't sure how that worked.

Paul, from what you describe, the original headrests could go on the back of any seat, even if it didn't originally leave the factory with one. Is this correct? I have fiddled, ok fondled, the back of the passenger bench seat to try to locate where the headrest originally rested, but I can't say I noticed anything significant and certainly not a large enough plate like is attached on the back of your seat. Did the headrest plates change that much from 60 to 64?

Comment

Originally posted by LeoH View Post
            Thanks for bringing this up Dr.P, I notice that my car originally came with a passenger head rest and I was interested in reinstalling a headrest, but I wasn't sure how that worked.

Paul, from what you describe, the original headrests could go on the back of any seat, even if it didn't originally leave the factory with one. Is this correct? I have fiddled, ok fondled, the back of the passenger bench seat to try to locate where the headrest originally rested, but I can't say I noticed anything significant and certainly not a large enough plate like is attached on the back of your seat. Did the headrest plates change that much from 60 to 64?
            Yes, the original headrests could go on any seat except Avanti. In fact, the right headrest was dealer installed with all parts in the accessory. The left headrest was installed by little old me by doing the installation by what the other headrest looked like. I'll have to go down and fondle mine to be sure, but I'm pretty sure the two screws go in to the steel frame of the seat and then a receiver goes down inside the seat. The leg of the headrest then slides up and down in that receiver. I don't think the plates changed at all from '60 through '66, just the leg that changed from straight to crooked to bring the headrest further forward.
            I sure wish I had bought the headrests out of a bunch of Larks in the salvage yards, but then I wasn't interested. Sorrowfully, one of the Torrey Kirby cars that got scrapped was a '62 Regal four door with split reclining seats AND headrests. I told his daughter to hold that car, but somehow it got hauled off anyhow. Somewhere in my parts piles I have a NOS early Lark red headrest cover only.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Yes as Paul indicated you also need the piece that goes into the seat frame & attaches to the springs down by the ash tray-not a problem on bench/split seats but on buckets you need to cut a spring near the ash tray.
              Rob in PA.

Comment

And this is a de-upholstering chore, attaching a new plate to the seat innards....

Comment

I resurrecting this to ask if 1966 cars could have the headrest built in as an option like the 1964 model above. I've seen a couple photos that only show the slip-on type, which look pretty awful.
                  "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

drpreposterous: Thanks for starting this thread and 53K many thanks for taking time to post the pictures. I have a 64 Wagonaire that has the plate on the passenger seat but not the headrest. I had no idea what the headrest looked like. At least now I know what to look for if I should every run across one.

If you just wait long enough almost any issue you might have will surface on the Forum eventually. Thanks to all who participate.
                    Nick

Comment

Just remember that these are not head RESTS, rather they are head RESTRAINTS and are used to prevent whiplash injuries to the spine in case of being rear-ended.

With that said, make sure that they are mounted firmly and securely so your head does not break them off, possibly making any whiplash injury worse.

Safety equipment always deserves to be over engineered and competently executed.
                      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

If I can find a brand x headrest that looks close to stock my plan on my GT is to build a strong mount for it while the trim shop has the seat apart for new covers. Still haven't found anything close.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                          Just remember that these are not head RESTS, rather they are head RESTRAINTS and are used to prevent whiplash injuries to the spine in case of being rear-ended.

With that said, make sure that they are mounted firmly and securely so your head does not break them off, possibly making any whiplash injury worse.

Safety equipment always deserves to be over engineered and competently executed.
                          Good advice and reminder! Thanks!

Comment

I installed a pair I salvaged from the local pick + pull when I re-foamed my seats several years ago, once you have stripped the frames it's relatively simple. Looks appropriate as well.
                            Bill Foy
                            1000 Islands, Ontario
                            1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Speaking of Headrest, Here is a set on eBay.. Looks to be complete!

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_12.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	1691968
                              Last edited by SScopelli; 09-03-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X