Replacing the original R series thermo clutch & fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Replacing the original R series thermo clutch & fan

My R1 Hawk's original thermostatic fan gave up the ghost long ago. I have been running a 6 bladed fan and viscous clutch from SI for some time. Several years ago I bought an adapter to install a Jaguar thermostatic clutch on my car but the AC compressor stuck out too much and the setup did not work. So I have been playing with some different ideas. Some time ago the idea of using a GM 7 bladed fan was suggested as a way to keep the noise down. I picked one up off of ebay and found out the blades were a bit too long and hit the inside of the shroud. So I trimmed off about 1/4" off of each blade and picked up a nifty looking 1.5 in. spacer from Summit. This all went together pretty well with some mods to the mounting bolts to the fan to make it all clear. So here it is and it works really well.

Last edited by Dan White; 06-10-2013, 07:28 AM.
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Looks great !
    I have been running GM 7-blade fans, with thermal clutches on Stude V8s and 56J V8s now for several years, and agree with you that the setup pulls more air, and is quieter. Also with the thermal clutch it engages as needed, determined by temp coming through the radiator. On Hawks with Stude V8, I have found up to an 18.5" diameter fan is possible; with a 56J, up to 19".

Did the late 1980s Jag clutch have a pilot hole large enough to accommodate the large (3/4"?) Stude water pump snout?

Comment

The Jag clutch had the correct pilot hole. But I needed the spacer so it was the spacer that had to have the correct hole and it was fine. The fan was 19" so cutting down 1/4" from each blade put it at 18.5" and the exact fit.
      Last edited by Dan White; 06-10-2013, 09:09 AM.
      Dan White
      64 R1 GT
      64 R2 GT
      58 C Cab
      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Any issues with balance when you cut the fan down? I tried something like that a few years ago and could never get the fan to turn without some noticeable vibration.

Comment

Fan seems to be pretty well balanced. I was worried about that as well. I think it also helps to have more blades to keep it balanced.
          Last edited by Dan White; 06-10-2013, 10:10 AM.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

The seven-bladed fan and viscous clutch (not thermal) that were on the '64 Avanti when I bought it was anything but quiet. I had a NOS Studebaker thermal clutch and I bought a NOS five-bladed fan from Jon Myer and swapped out the old fan assembly. The new fan set is much quieter and the heat reading seems to stay the same as before.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

The seven-bladed fan and viscous clutch (not thermal) that were on the '64 Avanti when I bought it was anything but quiet.
              Amen, brother! The first time the fan kicked in, I thought I was being strafed by a Stuka.

jack vines
              PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                Amen, brother! The first time the fan kicked in, I thought I was being strafed by a Stuka.

jack vines
                When looking at 7-blade fans on ebay before, I noticed a big difference in design between MOPAR, GM, AMC and JEEP, and suppose some are quieter than others. First one I installed was luck-of-the-draw, bought at a flea market for $10. It was a 19" GM, which I put onto a 56J. I was so impressed with it, I put an identical fan on a second 56J. On the two GTs I used fans identical to the ones on the 56Js, except 18.5", NOS for 1970s-1980s Corvette. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they are quieter and pull more air than anything Stude ever made.

I've used Hayden Severe Duty thermal clutches in all of them.

I see the OP's is a GM type blade, so I am sure it is as quiet & efficient as mine.

Sorry to hear about the airplane type on Avantis. Sounds like they are even noisier than the old OEM Stude 6-blade AC fans.
                Last edited by JoeHall; 06-10-2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Mine sure is quieter than the 6 blade SI replacement fan that I was using.
                  Dan White
                  64 R1 GT
                  64 R2 GT
                  58 C Cab
                  57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                    Fan seems to be pretty well balanced. I was worried about that as well. I think it also helps to have more blades to keep it balanced.
                    Dan, can you tell me a part number or specific Jaguar application for the thermal coupling.
                    Thanks
                    John

Comment

What is needed to replace fan on Stude Avanti? With the 7 blade type and jag clutch?

Comment

This does not work on a Lark type..... I tried the Jag thermo clutch on my 64 and it was too big. Not enough space between the radiator and the water pump.

Mark

Comment

The Jag clutch was used on XJ6 and XJS models from '85 to '92. YOu can reference Hayden #2765 or Napa 261306. However I believe the Avanti used the Lark type fan setup so as Bullet notes it may not fit.
                          Dan White
                          64 R1 GT
                          64 R2 GT
                          58 C Cab
                          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
                            The Jag clutch had the correct pilot hole. But I needed the spacer so it was the spacer that had to have the correct hole and it was fine. The fan was 19" so cutting down 1/4" from each blade put it at 18.5" and the exact fit.
                            I must be missing something. If the Jag clutch had the correct pilot hole, an OEM Stude spacer shoulda fit it all together perfectly. But you had tyo make a spacer? What part of an OEM spacer would not fit?
                            Thanks,
                            Joe

Comment

Joe:

As I noted the problem was that my AC compressor sticks out too much to clear the fan if I try to just bolt it on. So I used an aftermarket spacer. i also wanted to push the fan a bit more into the shroud.
                              Dan White
                              64 R1 GT
                              64 R2 GT
                              58 C Cab
                              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
                              X