Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Emergency Brake control adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency Brake control adjustment

My emergency brake cable that attaches to the control handle (vertical cable in front of fire wall) has stretched or is somehow too long. Using all the adjustment down at the lower connector, I still can't quite get enough tension for proper operation. Anyone ever tried to shorten this cable by about 3/4"? I have the unit out of the dash and on the bench, and can't see any obvious way to get it apart and shorten it. New ones don't seem to be available either.

Las Vegas, NV
    '51 Champion Business Coupe G899965 10G-Q4-1434

Paul, auto parts stores used to sell little clamps that attach to the rear cables to take up some of the slack, they may still be available.Also adjusting up the rear brakes helps if you haven't done so allready. This will also help handbrake adjustment if they are not adjusted up.
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Frank - the problem is not the rear cable slack... I can adjust that easily, but to operate the lever that is down near the MC, I need a slightly shorter cable attached to the control handle. What I mean is, the cable is long enough that the lower lever hardly moves when the hand brake is pulled. If I manually grab the cable and pull out some of the slack, the parking brake grabs just fine.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Understood.You have the part number for the cable Paul? I may have one. Also those clamps I referred to could be used on the front cable also.
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

The part # for the entire assembly (including handle, cable, conduit etc.) is 530205. The cable & conduit unit is 530616. The Chassis catalog indicates that this is 25 7/16" long for my model. I could try one of those clamps on the front cable, but it would have to be within the handle, since the other end is attached to the "fork" that the clevis pin goes through. Do you know how to detatch the cable from within the handle? It doesn't seem very intuitive.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

The little clamps just put a kind of bend in the cable which in effect shortens it a little Paul. I don't show those part numbers in stock. I can look up the procedure for unhooking the cable from the handle for you though. I se in the exploded view that the front cable is in an outer cable so forget what I said about the clamps on the front cable, won't work.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

The part # for the entire assembly (including handle, cable, conduit etc.) is 530205. The cable & conduit unit is 530616. The Chassis catalog indicates that this is 25 7/16" long for my model. I could try one of those clamps on the front cable, but it would have to be within the handle, since the other end is attached to the "fork" that the clevis pin goes through. Do you know how to detatch the cable from within the handle? It doesn't seem very intuitive.
              SASCO lists the 530205 assembly for $75.60 and the 530616 cable for $28.60.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
              '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
              '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
              Museum R-4 engine
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thanks, Paul, but they are indefinitely out of stock. I tried that first, since not only would it work right, but a new one would look prettier! I haven't found another vendor with one.

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

quote:Originally posted by vegas paul

Thanks, Paul, but they are indefinitely out of stock. I tried that first, since not only would it work right, but a new one would look prettier! I haven't found another vendor with one.

Las Vegas, NV
                  http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q...p-f=ISO-8859-1

Good luck!!!

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

Thanks, got it!

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Working...
                    X