Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steering Box Lubricant (Ross/Saginaw? -Special Grease/Gear Oil?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering Box Lubricant (Ross/Saginaw? -Special Grease/Gear Oil?)

I've looked through a number of post on the subject, but in the end I find it more confusing than definitive. My car is a '64 Canadian built Daytona. A fair number of parts on the car (engine, trans, rearend) were '65-'66. So, I don't know the exact year of the steering box.

I've included two pictures in the hope the steering box can be identified as a Ross or a Saginaw. I'm assuming a Saginaw, but would like confirmation.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Box Wide.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1738890Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Box CU.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1738891
    Regardless of manufacture my steering box has grease, - not gear oil in it. And as I have read in the posts the exact grease (assuming a Ross box) isn't available. There was reference to SI selling the special blended grease and others related: Royal Purple Thermax semi-fluid grease, Amsoil Semi-Fluid 00 Synthetic EP Grease (GSF), John Deere Special-purpose Corn Heated Gun Grease AN 102562, Shell Alvania 00 grease, Mobil SHC634.

I'm a bit stumped at the moment. I'm assuming I have a steering box NOT spec-ed for grease, but it does have grease. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
    Last edited by wittsend; 06-08-2013, 05:15 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

I`m under the impression that a steering box that is adjustable on the end of the box is a Saginaw, and that SI`s purple goop oily grease or is that greasy oil is suitable. I use it in my Saginaw box and seems to do the trick and doesn`t run past the bad sector shaft seal. Supposing if I`m wrong, somebody in the know will set both of us straight. Cheers, Junior
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

It is really simple, but always misunderstood. A 1961 to 1966 Lark Type Saginaw Steering gear is a Recirculating Ball Type Box, these only need 90 Wt. OIL per the Shop Manual Lubrication Guide.

The early Saginaw Manual box used ONLY in Champions (like Junior's) is a worm and sector type, very much the same as a leaky, clunky Ross, and requires the same semi-fluid GREASE as a Ross.

Yes your Box is a standard stock for '61-'66, Type "S" Saginaw.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 06-08-2013, 06:28 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you for the timely replys. I guess now I have to figure out if the grease was put in by mistake..., or because the box leaked. And on that note how would I get the grease out if I opted to put the proper 90W gear oil in?

Frankly I need all the help I can get. I'm thinking 90W over grease here. I have no power steering and 225-60-16's on Crown Vic Cop Car wheels make for "wrestling the bear steering." I had a smaller steering wheel installed (which I prefer) but had to go back to the larger, stock wheel just for the leverage (but I hate the "dainty thinness" of the stock steering wheel).

Tom
        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I think a syringe would pull the old thin grease out, worth a try. Maybe with a hose on it.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

get rid of those tires...they're way too big for that car, the driver and the front end...

Comment

I use c/v joint grease in the steering boxes of all of my Studebakers. For me it solves a multitude of issues...

Comment

The benefit of the modern day grease is that it tends to stay in the box thus eliminating all the mess associated with GX 90 leaks and it has better lubricity.
                ed ellis

sigpic

the "SUPER COUPE"

Comment

steering box lube

Restoration Supply Company in Escondido CA sells a general purpose steering box lube made by Penrite in Austrailia it"s about $15 bucks for 500ml (pint). It is not a grease but is 1200w. Dave

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                  I've looked through a number of post on the subject, but in the end I find it more confusing than definitive. My car is a '64 Canadian built Daytona. A fair number of parts on the car (engine, trans, rearend) were '65-'66. So, I don't know the exact year of the steering box.

I've included two pictures in the hope the steering box can be identified as a Ross or a Saginaw. I'm assuming a Saginaw, but would like confirmation.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]24339[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24340[/ATTACH]
                  Regardless of manufacture my steering box has grease, - not gear oil in it. And as I have read in the posts the exact grease (assuming a Ross box) isn't available. There was reference to SI selling the special blended grease and others related: Royal Purple Thermax semi-fluid grease, Amsoil Semi-Fluid 00 Synthetic EP Grease (GSF), John Deere Special-purpose Corn Heated Gun Grease AN 102562, Shell Alvania 00 grease, Mobil SHC634.

I'm a bit stumped at the moment. I'm assuming I have a steering box NOT spec-ed for grease, but it does have grease. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Comment

steering box

Originally posted by wittsend View Post
                    Thank you for the timely replys. I guess now I have to figure out if the grease was put in by mistake..., or because the box leaked. And on that note how would I get the grease out if I opted to put the proper 90W gear oil in?

Frankly I need all the help I can get. I'm thinking 90W over grease here. I have no power steering and 225-60-16's on Crown Vic Cop Car wheels make for "wrestling the bear steering." I had a smaller steering wheel installed (which I prefer) but had to go back to the larger, stock wheel just for the leverage (but I hate the "dainty thinness" of the stock steering wheel).

Tom
                    As mentioned earlier a syringe is the best way to remove the grease but it would help if the box was heated by using a heat lamp

Comment

I should mention here that, acting on what I knew and ascertained at the time, I put an entire tube of the SI steering lube into my '63 a couple of years ago (the box was nearly empty!) with absolutely no ill effects. I have put many, many miles on the car since then, and had no complaints from the front end I now know it's not "right", but it does work.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X