No power steering after pump rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: No power steering after pump rebuild

I rebuilt the power steering pump on my Hawk due to a bad leak. The system worked fine before I did the rebuild but now I appear to have manual steering! I have turned it lock to lock several times and no improvement. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Originally posted by Dan White View Post
    I rebuilt the power steering pump on my Hawk due to a bad leak. The system worked fine before I did the rebuild but now I appear to have manual steering! I have turned it lock to lock several times and no improvement. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Is the pulley key installed? Maybe the pulley is turning but not the pump.

Allen
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Dan, I feel your pain. Mine is almost the same story - leaky, then rebuild, now noisy. Had a line on a new P/S pump but fell through. Can somebody supply the name of a P/S vendor?
      Peter Bishop

Comment

If you do a little searching here, you can find threads like this one, which may help.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ring+pump+ford

Comment

I have spent a lot of time looking on the forum for ideas. The one you noted is for a replacement pump, using Ford Bendix for the Stude Bendix. I am going to pull the pump and take pull it apart to see if there is something I missed inside.
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Dan,

I bought my rebuilt pump from these guys last summer on a drive by through Ann Arbor from South Bend. I took all the Studebaker parts off of it, brackets and reservoir, and gave them the core. It is exactly the same as the Studebaker pump and the cost was about $100.

http://www.npdlink.com/store/product...p_by_year=1965

Best of luck.

Allen
            Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 06-08-2013, 07:28 AM.
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Well I once again have power steering! I took the pump apart again and found I put the spring on the wrong side of the control valve plunger. How I did that I will never know. I guess too much beer or was asleep. As a tech tip, it is a lot easier to remove the reservoir and pulley while the pump is on the car. It is a whole lot easier to also take the mounting bolts and pressure hose on and off as well without the reservoir in place! The rebuild kits are only $17 from SI and the rebuild is really easy, as long as you put things back from where they come from.
              Dan White
              64 R1 GT
              64 R2 GT
              58 C Cab
              57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Working...
              X