Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wagonairedriver
    replied
    Okay, I don't know how anybody could not see the gigantic RAMBLER on the trunk, the gigantic RAMBLER in the Grille, or the big R in the middle of the horn button, but apparently that is what happened. The Chrysler pushbuttons made their last appearance in 1964 (though I keep hoping!), but as long as we're already off-topic, the coolest dash ever was my 67 Charger. It had 4 round pods, was electroluminescent, and at night the striking orange needles floated inside of bright green numerals. People would actually gasp when I turned on the lights at night. And I would gasp if the hideaway headlights actually turned around so I could see the road

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    The story I heard, and believe to be true, is the Chrysler push-button design was excellent and was eliminated because they had complaints from ladies braking their fingernails.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    quote:Okay, in the hope of solving the puzzle, I drove out to the country to look at the "1959 Studabaker", and it was actually a 1959 Rambler Super. And it was an OHV 6, not a flathead. But it was kinda' cool anyway.
    Sometimes Studebakers get mixed up with Ramblers!

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    BTW, Rammer did what Studebaker did in that they upgraded their venerable 196 flathead and morphed it into an OHV engine. They did this some time before Stude made their conversion to OHV. Both these worked well and understandably, the OHV offered a few more HP than the flattie. BOTH engines were used right thru the 1965 model year![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    I had a 64 Chrysler Newport in the late 60s. It had the PB controls with the big lever for Park.
    One time I parked on a slight incline in front of an ice cream stand and left my first wife and two toddler sons in the car as I went in to get treats. After about a minute, I looked back towards where the car HAD BEEN parked to see it gone! It was about 70 or 80 feet back from where I'd left it with the wife on her keister at about half that distance, as I recall. After running to help up the cuss-spewing wife, she managed to explain that the kids had been "play driving" and flipped up the park lever. At that point, Bozo decided she'd open the door and step out and stop the rolling tank.[xx(] Good thing (for her), the bottom of the door offered lotsa ground clearance.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• fmarshall
    replied
    I had a 59 Rambler. It had pushbuttons.

Leave a comment:

• glen
    replied
    I believe my 63 Dodge Polara was the last year for Dodge.
    People just didn't accept them.....or so the story goes!

Sue Ellen 1964 Daytona
    glen Brose
    Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Leave a comment:

• lstude
    replied
    quote: The Edsel's TeleTouch system was so bad that Ford dumped it after only 2 years' use. There's a Wikipedia entry on it:
    Actually Edsel only used it for one (model)year...1958. The 59 Edsel had a regular shift lever.

Leonard Shepherd
    http://leonardshepherd.com/

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Did this car have NO identification whatsoever? No big "RAMBLER" on the hood? No cursive "R" on the horn button? No Weather Eye? What in the world would lead anyone who could read to believe such a car was a Studebaker????!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• wagonairedriver
    replied
    Okay, in the hope of solving the puzzle, I drove out to the country to look at the "1959 Studabaker", and it was actually a 1959 Rambler Super. And it was an OHV 6, not a flathead. But it was kinda' cool anyway.

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    Seems to my recollection the Chrysler pushbutton was all mechanical, and of admirable design. The Ford version was electrical, and a circuit short could throw it in to any gear at any time. This was especially prevelant when the push buttons were mounted in the center of the steering wheel!

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    The Edsel's TeleTouch system was so bad that Ford dumped it after only 2 years' use. There's a Wikipedia entry on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletouch

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
    '63 F2/Lark Standard
    http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
    www.studebakersandiego.com

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Ramblers DID have PB quadrants on the dash in certain year big AMCs - fact is, I still have some parts for such around here. And they didn't get their auto trannys from Chrysler until the late 60s. Prior to that they used the same, basic Borg-Warner trannies that Stude used from 56-on. Rambler called them Flash-o-matics. I'm hazy on recollection now, but I KNOW there's a couple of years Flash-o's that you can bolt up to a Stude BH (with minor mods I believe) to get 1st gear start.
    One thing different was that Rambler employed the aluminum T-35 tranny behind their 6s a couple of years before Stude did. Heh - some of the "facts" here are similar in integrity to ones we chuckle about that some auto geniuses float about Studebakers![xx(]

OH - what about the Packards and Edsels with their electrically actuated shifter ties to push-button switches - some in the steering wheel hub![8]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Chucks Stude
    replied
    Thats right,
    My parents had a Merc. Turnpike cruiser with the 400+ cid engine, and that was a neat stationwagon.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    AMC bought PowerFlite transmissions from Chrysler and they operated the same way with the same dash controls. I don't know how Ford's stuff operated, though they called their's 'Tele-Touch'. This was used on Edsels in '58, and in some Mercury models like the Turnpike Cruiser, in '58 and '59.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1794.98)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X