Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a 59 Rambler. It had pushbuttons.

Comment

I had a 64 Chrysler Newport in the late 60s. It had the PB controls with the big lever for Park.
      One time I parked on a slight incline in front of an ice cream stand and left my first wife and two toddler sons in the car as I went in to get treats. After about a minute, I looked back towards where the car HAD BEEN parked to see it gone! It was about 70 or 80 feet back from where I'd left it with the wife on her keister at about half that distance, as I recall. After running to help up the cuss-spewing wife, she managed to explain that the kids had been "play driving" and flipped up the park lever. At that point, Bozo decided she'd open the door and step out and stop the rolling tank.[xx(] Good thing (for her), the bottom of the door offered lotsa ground clearance.[xx(]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

BTW, Rammer did what Studebaker did in that they upgraded their venerable 196 flathead and morphed it into an OHV engine. They did this some time before Stude made their conversion to OHV. Both these worked well and understandably, the OHV offered a few more HP than the flattie. BOTH engines were used right thru the 1965 model year![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Okay, in the hope of solving the puzzle, I drove out to the country to look at the "1959 Studabaker", and it was actually a 1959 Rambler Super. And it was an OHV 6, not a flathead. But it was kinda' cool anyway.
          Sometimes Studebakers get mixed up with Ramblers!

Leonard Shepherd
          http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

The story I heard, and believe to be true, is the Chrysler push-button design was excellent and was eliminated because they had complaints from ladies braking their fingernails.

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10,
            '51 Commander Starlight,
            '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
            '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Okay, I don't know how anybody could not see the gigantic RAMBLER on the trunk, the gigantic RAMBLER in the Grille, or the big R in the middle of the horn button, but apparently that is what happened. The Chrysler pushbuttons made their last appearance in 1964 (though I keep hoping!), but as long as we're already off-topic, the coolest dash ever was my 67 Charger. It had 4 round pods, was electroluminescent, and at night the striking orange needles floated inside of bright green numerals. People would actually gasp when I turned on the lights at night. And I would gasp if the hideaway headlights actually turned around so I could see the road

Comment

Working...
              X