No announcement yet.

224 Street Peformance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm liking the idea of building a Studebaker engine more and more every minute! [8D]

Analog man in a digital world.

Comment

"I haven't come across anything which would make more power on a Chevy which would not do the same on a Studebaker."
      Headers are the only thing I can think of.Not much help on a Stude.
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Hippie, welcome to Studeland. Don't throw away your 224 just yet... There was a guy named Dick Datson who edited some performance publications a while back. He had a book called The Studebaker Extreme Duty Engine Book. If you can get your hands on one, read it before you do much else. I'm no tech guru, but if you read this book, you will be amazed at the performance possible from a Stude v-8. I do remember that he said the 224 crank is the strongest crank due to it's overlap of 27/32", whereas the 259 has 5/8" overlap, and the 289 has 7/16". I've always felt the 289 isn't as smooth as the smaller displacement engines, perhaps this is why? Somebody more "in the loop" as far as performance is concerned should be able to tell you where to get this book. I found myself making a fresh pot of coffee at 3 A.M. so I could keep reading. It was that good (to me). I personally put a 500 CFM edelbrock on my '63 wagonaire (259, 3 spd O/D), put on duals and I'm thrilled with the performance.I can't remember the rear ratio, but I can wind it to about 4000 in first, let it drop into overdrive and dust off the kids in the rice rockets between stoplights. fun. Good luck, you are going to dig your Studey!

Comment

Hi, Wagonairedriver,

On a well-built high performance Studebaker V8, every cubic inch is a horsepower. Simple math will show 289 minus 225 = 64 horsepower. Doesn't matter what you do to a 224", you will be down 64 horsepower over the same work and money invested in a 289". (Of course, the 224" will be smoother.)

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
          PackardV8

Comment

Analog man!

Glad to have ya, we think alike.......still enjoying McIntosh tube sound .......love those KT88s!......Nothin as sweet sounding as an analog waveform!

quote:Originally posted by Hippie

Just bought my first Studebaker as some of you may have seen in the General Topics, it's an early '55 Commander Regal Coupe with a 224 4 Bbl. and 3 Spd. OD and the guys over there made a pretty good case for keeping the 224 and OD. I'm not against it but I'm the kind of guy that has to modify EVERYTHING I get my hands on. So tell me, what can I do with the 224? I'm not wanting to set the streets on fire but what can I do to increase low and mid range TQ for getting around in traffic and passing on the highway? It already has a 4 Bbl.and I'm planning dual exhaust, how about camshafts, raising compression to 8.5 or 9 to 1, etc.? I cut my teeth on Pontiac's and then switched to Chevy and I'm no newbie to performance engines just Studebaker's, I'm here to learn.

Afterthought............ What might that have for a ring and pinion and was there ever a limited slip available that would fit it?

Comment

Seems to me it would be fun to build a 224 set up to really exploit the high-RPM potential of the bottom end. Work on the valve train so you could get it up to 7-8000 RPM, and open up the ports and valves so it can breathe. A turbo would be a natural on small-displacement engine like this.

You might not run with the big-block guys, but you'd have a real rarity that would fascinate true gearheads, and you'd also have an exhaust note to die for!

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hi, gordr,

Trust experience. The 224' won't reliably turn 8,000 without major work and expense. The 224" pistons weigh more than the 289"; thus the inertial loading is the same and thus, the identical expense for custom connecting rods and valve train and you are still down 65".

I will agree, the 224" with $1200 custom lightweight forged pistons and $1800 custom longer connecting rods would be more reliable than the 289" at 8,000, but it wouldn't be making as much horsepower, either.

There is still a dream of running a 224" at Bonneville in a lakester, where there are classes to give old, weird, small stuff a chance.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                PackardV8

Comment

Jack, my thinking was more along the lines of the "cool factor" than of being in any way competitive.

A nicely tricked-out 224 with a turbo and some shiny goodies will get more attention at a car show than another one of those store-bought 350s.

The 224 would be a natural for one of those 6-speed transmission swaps.

Comment

Hey fellas............. back her up just a second. I just want it to run DECENT on the highway and around town not set a new record at Bonneville. If I can cruise with traffic on I-80 with out over working it and stay close to an average late model V-6 FWD like a '94 LeSabre from stoplight to stoplight that is good. Of course if I can get more out of a Stude V-8 that would be even cooler but I don't want to get too exotic here. No Turbos, no blowers, no nitrous.........

I'm used to low RPM grunt motors so anything much over 5500 starts making me nervous. IF I were to slip a SBC in it it would be one built for max TQ BELOW 5,000 RPM with a TQ curve that looks like a topographical map of Kansas. If it can get around as well as a basically stock 4200 Lb. '76 Monte Carlo with a 165HP 350, TH350 and 2.73's that's a good start. IF it can't........ then I have some work to do. I just as soon do it with a Studebaker V-8 though.

Comment

A few years back I took the 259 out of a '64 4 dr Lark type, found a 289 crank, and had it rebuilt as a stock 289. No hi-perf except if you count dual exhaust & 4bbl carb(Edlebrock 500 cfm). Well, I wish I would have left it as a 259. Too much power! It has a 331 rear end and flight-o-matic; I start it up and it will almost idle around town. When you're hitting the brakes more than the gas just going to the grocery store you know you've got some power. I feel like this engine would be better suited for a car hauler that a little Lark. I don't need the power that I'm paying for with the low mileage. -- That's my 2 cents worth.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by casey

A few years back I took the 259 out of a '64 4 dr Lark type, found a 289 crank, and had it rebuilt as a stock 289. No hi-perf except if you count dual exhaust & 4bbl carb(Edlebrock 500 cfm). Well, I wish I would have left it as a 259. Too much power! It has a 331 rear end and flight-o-matic; I start it up and it will almost idle around town. When you're hitting the brakes more than the gas just going to the grocery store you know you've got some power. I feel like this engine would be better suited for a car hauler that a little Lark. I don't need the power that I'm paying for with the low mileage. -- That's my 2 cents worth.
                        I have a lead on a running '63 Lark 289, sounds like it might be just the ticket. [8D]

Comment

I have a 224 in wraps out in the shop. It's never been run since it was built roughly 20 years ago, but it was built with all Datson's mods incorporated. I bought it with all the work already done to it, then let Studebaker Ken take it apart and put it back together for something to do and to make sure it was still in good shape after sitting around on a stand for 15 years. My intentions are for it to end up in the '53 Coupe I have. That's after I get this 58 Provincial back together.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I have a 224 in wraps out in the shop. It's never been run since it was built roughly 20 years ago, but it was built with all Datson's mods incorporated. I bought it with all the work already done to it, then let Studebaker Ken take it apart and put it back together for something to do and to make sure it was still in good shape after sitting around on a stand for 15 years. My intentions are for it to end up in the '53 Coupe I have. That's after I get this 58 Provincial back together.[:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle
                            Mr. Biggs,
                            Sounds like your next investment should be a cloning device...

<h5>Mark
                            '57 Transtar
                            3E-6/7-122
                            </h5>

Mark Hayden
                            '66 Commander
                            Zone Coordinator
                            Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

I wish![:I]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X