stuck door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck door

My drivers door wont open the window is down and the lock seems to go up and down have tried it from inside and outside but wont budge. I have to go prying on it etc but am stuck trying to figure it out.On the other hand the passenger door wont stay closed but the mechanismn on the post seems to be broke so will need new one any idea where you can get these? got chance to look at engine today. The power steering pump is empty. Thought I would fill it and see what gives if it leaks or what. good news is dont see any leaks except small rocker arm gasket. I think the carb may need overhaul so am putting list together of parts etc I need taking lots of pictures with digital camera to refresh my old memory. I think the air conditioning is going to need overhaul or replaced but I sure want to have that working here in Alabama. But I need to get this door open.I thought about laying down in the seat and giving it a good kick while someone holds the knob.

62 GT Hawk

Depending on the year, door lock strikers are readily available for the passenger side since they are less used. Before you break your driver's door, it sounds like something has come apart in the latch/lock mechanism. It may be necessary to remove the interior trim panel from the door to gain access to the mechanism. This may require removing the front seat if you can't get get the panel off without doing so.

If you're a member of SDC you already have access to the parts vendors you may need. If not, post more details and we'll help if we can.

Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I had that happen to my 55 Pres... almost felt like the door was welded shut. I finally got it to release by jacking up, under the opposite side front A-arm. Doing this, twisted the body enough to pop it loose.

Bob Johnstone
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Thanks for the info it is a 62 hawk. Not sure how the door panels come off probably top piece of trim and bottom hopefully has clips like on my vette.I really want to get the doors working but dont want to make a bigger problem than I need.I will try tomorrow there is no rust around the seat bolts so should come out fairly easy after putting some lube on it. [img][/img][img][/img]

62 GT Hawk

Comment

Forgot to mention my grandfather had a 53 commander that was really nice it had a flathead 6 in it and he drove it from Michigan to Seattle and on the way back never shut it off because it was having problems when he got home and shut it down it froze and never started again but he put a 259 in it after year under a shade tree and I use to drive them around in it.It was a great car rusty and hand painted with a brush if you can believe that but still good memories.

62 GT Hawk

Comment

Concerning your idea of kicking the door while someone holds the knob...in theory that sounds good but it might be a good way to coldcock your assistant, break their thumb, etc. If you do wish to try it, please don't call me to help you!

Comment

I've opened some stubborn doors on wrecks that way,but usually with steady foot pressure,not kicking.

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Well when I explained what I thought would work wife just gave me that look you know and went back into the house.

62 GT Hawk

Comment

I have successfully kicked opened quite a few Studebaker doors while someone holds the outisde handle, while pressing the button. And, most times it works! (Just make sure you don't mess up the door panel. )

Matthew Burnette
                  '59 Scotsman
                  '63 Daytona
                  Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track

Comment

Working...
                  X