Stearing box adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stearing box adjustment

Whwn the stearing wheel has a small amount of play , is there a simple adjustment? On my Kaiser one could loosen the lock nut and turn the nut a very little, like a 1/16 of a turn. 1955 President State

55 Pres.. Standard steering..... In a pinch, just what you said, but the manual has you jack the car up in front, and use an inch/lb scale to get the pull correct.
    I can't recall right now, but the worm gear on a 55 may be narrower in the center and tightening the sector too much will cause binding and damage the box if driven that way. The manual boxes aren't that hard to rebuild and parts are available from S.I.

Power steering. I don't know

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

what bob said - make adjustments only when the box is dead centered. otherwise you may have binding on center which will make the car hard to drive.

nate

--
      55 Commander Starlight
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I think that is the last place to look for a 'small amount of play'-on any car. You need a helper to jiggle the wheel while you are under the car,inspecting all areas and parts of the steering.[with car safely on jackstands of course]
        I've driven a few cars that were really messed up by people trying to adjust the slop out of the steering box.DON'T mess with that 'till it is the CONFIRMED problem.[which I'll bet is not the problem]

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I think the free play is within normal limits,about 1/16 of free play in the wheel when driving, no vibration. It really needs zero adj, but would like all the knowledge people will share. I had never seen a Ross gear box 'till I purchased this car.

Comment

1/16"????? just drive it. Your primary concern now is making sure that the box remains full of nice goopy lube so it stays that way. That's less play than I've had in ANY Stude steering, much less one of those horrid Ross boxes.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

"Zero adjustment"? Do you mean you want to centre the steering wheel when driving straight ahead? If that's your problem, it's likely caused by somebody adjusting toe-in on one side only. If so, fix it by adjusting the tie rods.
              /H

Comment

Working...
              X