Dropping a V8 into a '58 Scotsman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropping a V8 into a '58 Scotsman?

I am considering making a bit of a hot rod out of a '58 Scotsman 2 dr. that now has a 185 and a straight 3 spd. I have a "JT" motor and a truck T-85 on hand. I would love to retain the column shifter--how hard would it be to adapt the stock shifter to the T-85? Or should I just forget it and find a T-10 and put in a floor shifter?

Are V8 motor mounts easy to find? I have never done this conversion before, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I am also torn between putting V8 drums on (I have all the correct stuff I pulled from from a Lark V8 years ago) or discs. I have a couple of Hawk Dana 44 rear ends around here--I am assuming there are a direct fit?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any and all help and direction.

This is just me, but this is what I would do;

* 289 V8 (toss in a Golden Hawk S/C if you can get the set up)
    * T-10 4-speed
    * V8 Drum Brakes
    * Hawk Buckets with no console
    * Hurst Shifter
    * Dana 44 TT with as low a gear as you can stand (4.10's?)
    * Black with Wider Wheels and Dog Dish Caps

This would give you Studebaker's version of Chevy's Black Widow.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

If you're putting that much "go" in it, I'd go for the disc brake setup. Going fast is easy; stopping fast is harder.

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
      '63 F2/Lark Standard

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Allan; I assume you mean the engine mount BRACKETS?
        My book shows for '55-'58 Eights, you need 532400 and 532401, and I thought you could use the brackets from '59-'64 Larks and Lark types... NO DICE! they're different!

Engine mounts are "replacement parts" and are no problem, we all have those for around $25.00 a pair.

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

Are V8 motor mounts easy to find?
        StudeRich
        Studebakers Northwest
        Ferndale, WA
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

SASCO shows the motor mount frame brackets available for $15.20 a pc.
          532400 and 532401
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

Allan; I assume you mean the engine mount BRACKETS?
            My book shows for '55-'58 Eights, you need 532400 and 532401, and I thought you could use the brackets from '59-'64 Larks and Lark types... NO DICE! they're different!

Engine mounts are "replacement parts" and are no problem, we all have those for around $25.00 a pair.

quote:Originally posted by Allan Songer

Are V8 motor mounts easy to find?
            StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            Yeah, the brackets are what I meant! Thanks.

How about the rear mount? Same for manual trans 6 and 8?

Sorry if I seem like an idiot, but I have never owned a 50's sedan--only Larks, Hawks and trucks!

Comment

Rear mount's different too. Besides that, to do the 3spd tranny, you'll need different shifter rods, some different clutch operating parts, the V8 throttle bellcrank and different wiring. Sounds formidable, but I'd bet you could find most of what's needed quite easily.
              Yes, a Hawk rear should fit it as well.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Alan, that sounds like it'd be a great project. A blacked-out Scotsman sleeper, what fun!

If you have the room, this is the sort of project that cries out for a donor car: one-stop shopping for all the brackets, linkage, brakes, and so on.

With big horsepower, though, I think a Turner brake kit would be a real good idea.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
                Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Greetings, Allan,

FWIW, I've owned both and the T-85 truck transmission is a much
                  better daily driver than the T-10. The T-10 direct 4th makes too many RPMs at todays highway speeds. A C-cab is noisy under the best of circumstances. The 28% overdrive makes a huge difference.

The other tip is to use an electric fan. It will dramatically quiet a C-cab on the highway.

Third, I am considering the kit with the two-piece sheet metal cover for the underhood cowl. That, lined with DynaMat, with the overdrive and the electric fan, makes a C-cab almost bearable on the highway.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                  PackardV8

Comment

Ahh...Jack we ARE talking about a '58 Scotsman 2dr. Sedan CAR, here right? [8)]

These are great tips however, for us Transtar owners! [^]

quote:Originally posted by PackardV8

A C-cab is noisy under the best of circumstances. The 28% overdrive makes a huge difference.

The other tip is to use an electric fan. It will dramatically quiet a C-cab on the highway.

Third, I am considering the kit with the two-piece sheet metal cover for the underhood cowl. That, lined with DynaMat, with the overdrive and the electric fan, makes a C-cab almost bearable on the highway.
                    PackardV8
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree with Rich here, but I will say that given the nature of this proposed sleeper, a T-85 might be a nice option over the T-10. Get a floor shifter if you're so inclined. Think FIVE speeds + economy![:0][][^]

Miscreant adrift in
                      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi, Rich,

And there was even a photo [:I]

However, the Scotsman sedan will benefit from the recommendations other than the cowl cover. They weren't overburdened with sound-deadening insulation.

Keeping it light in weight, a strong 289" will a pull the T10 transmission with 3.07 gears and will be a decent compromise on the highway. The T-85 has worked well in the much heavier '56J with 3.31 gears and just slides down the highway. A TwinTraction rear end should be considered a necessity. The Scotsman sedans are traction-challenged with the 289".

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                        PackardV8

Comment

This may or may not help.

As a youngster, I had a 56 Champion/Pelhan 2-door Wagon. It was a 6-cyl, three speed, column shift. After I grenaded the engine one night, I obtained a V8 out of a 55 Commander, that this guy had around the block from me. He was going to put a Caddy v8 in the Stude and go drag racing.

So, $15 for the good v8, and off to swap engines. My friends dad welded some channel iron on top of each existing engine support on the frame. And then we bolted the engine in with its original mounts from the commander.

I got a truck tranny from a wrecking yard that had a top load 3-speed shifter. Cut a hole on the floor and added a shift boot, taking the shifter off the column. Then I had the drive shaft shortened.

The car ran GREAT!!

And the brakes held it ok. The six probably weighed just as much. And the v8 was smaller than the 259, though I don't recall the exact CID.

Comment

Is someone going to buy this car, or not ? It'd down to $1400 and that is just getting silly. I don't want to buy it out from under anyone, but someone is going to snag it for a rod.

JDP/Maryland
                            64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
                            64 GT R2
                            63 Lark 2 door
                            52 & 53 Starliner
                            51 Commander
                            39 Coupe express
                            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Go for it! I have the cash in my pocket (actually got it last Friday at the bank, as I was going to buy it on Saturday), but NOWHERE to park the car.

I am passing on it because of a lack of storage space! I can't find anyone who will let me park it on their property for the 5-6 months I need before I make room at my place. Got two other "projects" here that have been sittin' a while ('64 R1 Wagonaire and a 1952 MG TD).

I've been scramblin' for some space, but I just won't pay $175 per month to park the darn thing.

By the way, I pretty much talked him down to $1300.
                              BUY IT, BUDDY!

--and if you ever want to dump it down the road before working on it, let me know

Comment

Working...
                              X