56 Tangerine color choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 Tangerine color choice

Getting close to having to go buy the color for my 56 wagon. Snow Cap White and Tangerine. I bought some original paint chips but being 51 years old does not give me much comfort. The white will be easy. I will go get the brightest white I can find. The Tangerine is the the challange. Don't really want to order paint thru the mail so I am going to try to find something close. First I thought Chev. 1969 Hugger Orange. But it looks to orange. Tangerine looks to be a little creamier(white) Any one had any luck with this color lately?? Thanks

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Call DuPont and ask them to either match it to an existing paint formula, or have them supply you with a modern formula in any of their current paint lines. Ie; Chromabase, Uro etc. They can and will supply you with a single stage match or a BC/CC match.

Comment

K; there are just as many shades of White as any color! The Snowcap White on '56 or Arctic White on '57 were great colors. Snowcap is a little more blue (Icy) and more white than the later model Ermine, and other off whites that have more yellow.

I just don't get it, I saw the pic's of your car...a beautiful frame-off resto, WHY would you screw up a nice original car with correct Tangerine then add a common stark white GM color trim?

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

OK OK OK. I give, I give. I will get the correct Tangerine and Snowcap White. Looking at the chips the Snowcap white looks like a straight GM winter white. I have e-mailed Dupont for both formula's.

Comment

Now you're thinking like a typical Stude. guy! []
          Who also wants to add value to his resto! [}]

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

OK OK OK. I give, I give. I will get the correct Tangerine and Snowcap White. Looking at the chips the Snowcap white looks like a straight GM winter white. I have e-mailed Dupont for both formula's.
          StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Look also to Diamont for a paint/color match, my body shop guys used them and we got GREAT results in an acrylic enamle for the underbody and inner fender panels. They then matched a base coat/clear coat for body panels.......

If you have the colors on the car in a 1/4" inch area they can use a color spectrometer and make a perfect match on first try.

OK I lied....I'll do it again for the "right" car, I love the chase.....
            It is an addiction!

Comment

I had the entire car dipped so no paint really left. What's left is so faded and rusted ,don't want to try to match it. Is Diamont a paint company like PPG or type of paint? I do like your idea of using a acrylic enamel on the bottom and maybe the interfenders for durability and won't have to buff. I am going to use bc/cc on the outside.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by KGlowacky

Getting close to having to go buy the color for my 56 wagon. Snow Cap White and Tangerine. I bought some original paint chips but being 51 years old does not give me much comfort. The white will be easy. I will go get the brightest white I can find. The Tangerine is the the challange. Don't really want to order paint thru the mail so I am going to try to find something close. First I thought Chev. 1969 Hugger Orange. But it looks to orange. Tangerine looks to be a little creamier(white) Any one had any luck with this color lately?? Thanks

Comment

KG, I did reply to your private email sent through "Studebaker Drivers Club," but not sure you ever received it as I have not heard back from you. I have now posted my reply (see below) here on the Fourm in hopes you do see it. LMK if you have any more questions or if I can be of some further assistance to you.

===============================================================
                  In lower day-lighting conditions (such as inside a garage with few windows) the Tangerine is much more "Orange-ish." Under bright noon-time sun conditions the Tangerine "fades" into a more " Salmon-ish" color. Much the same with the Snowcap White. It looks to be a brighter White under those lower day-lighting conditions and "Creamy-white" under a bright noon-time sun.

FYI:

PPG's newest formulation code for Studebaker's TANGERINE is:
                  DCC 60236 for PPG CONCEPT (Acrylic Urethane)
                  DDL 60236-D for PPG DURACRYL (Acrylic Lacquer)

PPG's newest formulation code for Studebaker's SNOWCAP WHITE is:
                  DCC 2181 for PPG CONCEPT (Acrylic Urethane)
                  DDL 8121 for PPG DURACRYL (Acrylic Lacquer)

My point of contact for getting the above paint is "GREG" at FinishMasters in Mishawaka, IN (574) 256-1796, M-F, 8-5 Eastern time.

So much for the "good news," now for the not-so-good news!!! Couple months back I called Greg to have some more TANGERINE in PPG Concept mixed up. He called back later to say that PPG had discontinued 2 of the "special tints" needed for the TANGERINE formulation, but that he had located one tint in Florida and the other in Michigan and he would be able to fill my order.

Good luck with your Tangerine & Snowcap White project!

===============================================================

<h4>Last Man Standing in Studebaker Indiana</h4>

Comment

So Sorry. I did recieve and print it. Going to go to the paint store this week and see what I can do. I did respond to your e-mail. I'm thinking they can match the CC/BC with the paint they mix for me from your formula, as I am going to have some acrylic enamal mixed for the bottom of the car. Thanks again.

Comment

Here would be my solution to PPG not stocking the tints any longer. If A1956GOLDENHAWK could send a color chip of his paint you could then get it color matched by another paint supplier. Once you get the acrylic enamel made they can then match that in a cc/bc.

For Diamont paints......

http://www.autobodysupply.net/Painthome.htm

OK I lied....I'll do it again for the "right" car, I love the chase.....
                      It is an addiction!

Comment

I just remebered something. Back in April or May I asked for color formulas and somebody directed me to Ray Fitchthorn's technical pages. If you scan down Rene Harger of Phantom published the mixing formulas for your paints using DuPont Chromabase BC/CC.

Sorry I did not hink of this earlier.
                        BG

Comment

Ok, went to the paint store today. Gave them the Acrylic Urethane numbers and they CAN mix theses for me (DBU). She was very aware of the tint deletions but had plenty of the Orange in stock. We decided to mix these two colors first and then custom blend the CC/BC from these. Thanks everyone. It will be a couple more months before the car will roll.

Comment

Dupont just called. They are e-mailing me the formula for the CC/BC and the urethane. They were hurt when I told them I was considering PPG. Looks like I am all set up.

Comment

Working...
                            X