Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

63 Avanti R2 Mech Advance of the Mallory Distributor from Dave T.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• avantibngrant
    replied
    Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
    100LL avgas works good too......
    I could advance it a little more with that for sure!

Leave a comment:

• 63 R2 Hawk
    replied
    100LL avgas works good too......

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Also remember that the vacuum advance on the Mallory distributor is adjustable, too.
    Jeff

Leave a comment:

• avantibngrant
    replied
    Timing the Mallory for an R2

I just want to close the loop and share how it ended up. I replace the one spring to and ended up with a Purple and Pink spring as planned. I then used the keys to limit the total advance to 14 degrees which is the smallest amount, then set the timing to 26 or 27 degrees with the vacuum advance blocked off at about 1500 or so RPM with a couple of revs to confirm it is not increasing with RPM. This leaves me with about 18 or 19 degrees at idle of 800 or so rpm. This falls in with the min/max curves of the shop manual with a nominal 28 degrees at full advance. It did not follow the theoretical values exactly, but I think Yogi Berra had an expression for that -"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
    The idle is a little high, but is just inside the max curve. When you look at the min/max lines and consider an idle speed of 800 or so rpm, the advance does not do much advancing to stay within the curves as it is to be all in at 1200 rpm. No pinging at all and no starter binding, so I have driven it quite a few miles with good running characteristics so far.
    On the vacuum advance, I crudely check it to see if it was starting to come on at about 8 or so inches of vacuum, and it was. It seemed to advance about 15 degrees total but it was a very rough measurement. The only setting it has is the spring which shifts the whole curve up or down the vacuum axis, since it seemed reasonable I left it as is.
    I have bought one tank of gas from a PetroCanada station with 94 Octane. The Avanti likes that better than the usual 91 octane.
    My fuel mileage (Canadian Gallon) is attached. Notice the evaporation over winter!
    I hope this helps anyone else going down this path.
    Regards
    Neil
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jlmccuan
    replied
    I recurved mine and also use a boost retard vacuum advance from Accel.

Leave a comment:

• avantibngrant
    replied
    Originally posted by avantibngrant View Post
    Thanks for getting back to me. Actually the shop manual wants all the advance in at 1200 rpm for the R2 which is a pretty steep curve. See screen dump from the shop manual. I did talk to Prestolite (Mallory) and he came back with the recommendation of using two pink springs. I will check that out first before I proceed. The first attempt seems to follow the Shop Manual curve pretty good though.

Regards

Neil
    Well, I just checked. The two pink springs don't work nearly as well. Advance comes in too late. I am going with the first plan.

Leave a comment:

• avantibngrant
    replied
    R2 - Timint the Mallory Unilite

Originally posted by bige View Post
    I did the same thing but ran initial timing at 14 degrees for a total of 28 at about 2000 RPM. You won't match the factory exactly but my car ran fine set up that way.

I don't remember the springs I used but the factory wanted total in at 1600 RPM so you want a quick advance. If that's what you're going for I think you will be very happy with the performance. My car loved the high initial advance.
    Thanks for getting back to me. Actually the shop manual wants all the advance in at 1200 rpm for the R2 which is a pretty steep curve. See screen dump from the shop manual. I did talk to Prestolite (Mallory) and he came back with the recommendation of using two pink springs. I will check that out first before I proceed. The first attempt seems to follow the Shop Manual curve pretty good though.

Regards

Neil
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bige
    replied
    I did the same thing but ran initial timing at 14 degrees for a total of 28 at about 2000 RPM. You won't match the factory exactly but my car ran fine set up that way.

I don't remember the springs I used but the factory wanted total in at 1600 RPM so you want a quick advance. If that's what you're going for I think you will be very happy with the performance. My car loved the high initial advance.

Leave a comment:

• 63 Avanti R2 Mech Advance of the Mallory Distributor from Dave T.

After a year of driving with the distributor as purchased, I am planning on changing the curve to match the R2 stock curve which will get the advance in earlier and give much less overall advance. I have studied the info and now have a plan. I don't have a dial back timing light, so I am doing it with a idle base set up which I believe for the stock R2 would be 6 degrees at 600 rpm or less.
    I am planning to use the Purple and Pink Springs and limit the upper limit to 14 degrees overall timing - the 14 degree key. Since my car idles at about 800 rpm, the stock timing I would be looking for is the advance at 800 degrees plus the 6 degrees which is 6 degrees for a timing at an idle 800 RPM of 12 degrees. This give me a curve pretty darn close to stock. See attached picture.
    I think it all makes sense. Anyone else re-curved the Mallory like this?
    Regards

Neil
    Attached Files
Working...
X