Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

'63 Lark v8 - Currently has 2BBL. Would a 4BBL be THAT much better? If so, where to find a manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: '63 Lark v8 - Currently has 2BBL. Would a 4BBL be THAT much better? If so, where to find a manifold?

Hello. I have the 259ci v8 in my '63 Lark. It's been recommended that I get a 4BBL (with new manifold). would I notice THAT much difference in performance and efficiency??? The 2BBL works great at this point. Hopefully, someone MUCH more experienced than I (that's probably everyone reading this!!!) can shed some light!!!
    If a switch IS recommended, where can I get the best price on a manifold? What brand (for the money) carb do you recommend????

Again, THANKS!!!

Chris
    (Sparrows Point, MD)

PS - HAPPY EASTER!!!

My 63 Hawk has a 2bbl. Runs fine and I wouldn't put a 4 bbl on it if someone else was paying to have it done. All you would accomplish would be a bit quicker to accelerate and more money spent at the pump. cheers jimmijim
    sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

If your 2 barrel is in good working order, don't mess with it. The gain, for the money spent is probably not worth it.
      1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Putting on a small Edelbrock AFB can make your driving experience quite a bit better.
        The primary venturi's an the AFB are smaller than the stock Stomberg WW 2bbl venturi's.
        So, if you drive conservatively, you will stay on the primaries and you will get better mileage.
        But, if you mash the gas, the combination of all four barrels will give you more performance than a Stomber WW can provide.

Conversion intake manifolds are available from several vendors for reasonable prices.
        So, you can do the conversion from 2bbl to 4bbl fairly easily.

Edelbrock has a special right now. If you buy an Edelbrock AFB, they will give you an air cleaner assy for free.

http://www.bigcarbdeal.com/
        http://www.bigcarbdeal.com/dl/bcd_flyer.pdf

Advance Auto has a 20% off deal going, with free shipping right now.

Shop around! Deals are out there...

Edelbrock 1403 is a 500 cfm electrick choke model.

You will need to change the throttle link arm to a slightly longer one (the primary throttle shaft is a bit further forward than the 2bbl location.

You will need to trim off the lower tab on the throttle arm (to clear the heat crossover part of the casting)....as long as you do not run a 700R4 A/OD conversion

You will need to modify your choke. (most go to an electric choke and be done with it).

You will need to find a 4bbl air filter, or get a custom air cleaner assy.

You will need to re-route your fuel supply line, and move the distributor vacuum advance hose.

Hundreds have done this swap succesfully, so you can too!
        Jeff

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Chris -

First question -
          What do you do with the car ?

Is it a daily driver (yes, "might" be a good idea)
          Is it a show queen (save your money)
          Is it a weekend, around town car (save your money)
          Do you take it out on long (over 100 miles) drives more than once a year (yes, a good idea)
          Do you plan or any racing? (yes, absolutly)
          Do you have stock single, small tube exhaust system and no plans to change it (not too good an idea here)

As you can see...NOT a straight foward answer..!
          And if you do, do this swap, stay with the 500cfm carburetor, normally Edelbrock.

Will the milage be "hugely" better...no, it will not, it will not even come close to paying for itself..! Will it be more fun at the gas pedel, depends on what you like...if speed is one of them...yes, it'll be a little more fun to drive....ONCE IT'S TUNED for your engine.

Mike

Comment

Yes, if cost is no object. To buy a 4-bbl manifold, new carburetor, air cleaner, change the choke, the throttle linkage usually runs $350-500. Then, if one wants to tune it to the engine per MVVs suggestion and doesn't know how and has to pay experts, that's real money.

Then, without a good dual exhaust, all the above is pretty much wasted effort.

FWIW, Studebaker says a 4-bbl and dual exhausts add fifteen horsepower. How much is that worth is an individual decision.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jeff, does this mean you no longer do intake conversions?
              Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                Jeff, does this mean you no longer do intake conversions?
                I still do them.
                I just don't have a bunch of them ready at this moment.
                But, if someone were to PM me, I'd set them up.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

PM sent :-)
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I would invest my money in a dual exhaust system before I'd do anything else.(My 2 sheckels.)

Comment

Excepting a 1964 Wagonaire, I have replaced every two barrel, WW series carb ever had on Stude V8s. They tend to start "wheezing" at anything above about 2500 RPM. With four barrels, that RPM and up is where you can feel the extra umph when you push the pedal to the metal. Also, a well tuned four barrel ABB, Edlebrock, "baby Holley", etc. will get at least as good MPG as a WW two barrel.

I agree on dual exhaust, and believe every Stude I have owned was dual exhaust, except the 64 Wagonaire and possibly a 63 Cruiser, were dual exhaust. But the Cruiser was no slouch when it came to power.

Comment

All good comments...
                        An engine is basically an air pump.
                        Keeping with the basic air/fuel ratio...
                        If you can get more air in, you can put more fuel in, and if you can burn it all, you will make more power.
                        Now, getting it in is one thing...
                        Getting it out is another.
                        Having a free flowing intake can be negated by stifling the exhaust.
                        So... It is the package you want.
                        If there was one magic pill to make HP... Most would seek it out and use it.
                        But, it is the entire package that counts.
                        A Paxton supercharger is a great thing, but it was basically a Band-Aid to put more air in a small displacement engine so they could put more fuel in it to make more power..
                        (all on a budget stifled by a struggling fourth place car company)
                        Not a slam by any means, but a realization of what manufacturers have to contend with versus hot rodders...
                        We seek the same thing... But without the same restrictions that are applied by a board of directors....
                        Jeff

Jeff

Comment

One of my studie v8s has a two barrel intake manifold that looks like with a little milling and drilling would make a nice four barrel manifold. has anyone done this?
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I'm just about to put the dual exhaust on my 55 Commander. I have a four barrel manifold and aircleaner on order form Bob Petersen. I'll be searching for a four barrel carb but the only reason I want it is to see if it can qualify to do a run or two at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags. Maybe Mr. Palma or another PSMCDR participant can tell me the rules. Do I need a 55 carb or can I use something a little more recent? I just had the DG200 tranny rebuilt and it's got a good first gear start. Pulls away pretty quick with the WW 2bbl, but I haven't stomped on it and kept it there for very long
                            Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I'll be searching for a four barrel carb but the only reason I want it is to see if it can qualify to do a run or two at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags.
                              The PSMCDR will consider the post-'55's cars of any manufacturer muscle cars on a case by case basis if they have a 4-bbl intake, dual exhausts and a performance image. Show them Mr. Palma's favorite newspaper ad "The Studebaker will out-accelerate any new car." or words to that effect.

Now, if we can just convince the PSMCDR tech crew the '56 Golden Hawk Jet Streak package proposal is a valid option, then with 374" 2x4bbls, Isky roller cam, dual point distributor; add the 4.09 gears with TwinTraction and we'd be a real contender.

One of my studie v8s has a two barrel intake manifold that looks like with a little milling and drilling would make a nice four barrel manifold. has anyone done this?
                              All day, every day. That's where most of the 4-bbl manifolds our vendors sell come from.

jack vines
                              Last edited by PackardV8; 04-02-2013, 09:07 AM.
                              PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                              X