Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

rear shocks for 63 Wagonaire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks: rear shocks for 63 Wagonaire?

I need to find some shocks for the rear of my Wagonaire. The leaf springs are tired, but I just can't face replacing them right now, so I would like to find some shocks with the attached helper coil springs on the outside. I've tried to use the helpers that just clamp to the outside of the shock, but they just slide off the shock. Just wondered if anybody has found something that works well...
    Thanks in advance, Kelly

I've seen air shocks used to add a little lift to saggy springs. There is a wealth of information on Bob Johnstone's Studebaker site, check it out if you haven't already....

Comment

Originally posted by wagonairedriver View Post
      I need to find some shocks for the rear of my Wagonaire. The leaf springs are tired, but I just can't face replacing them right now, so I would like to find some shocks with the attached helper coil springs on the outside. I've tried to use the helpers that just clamp to the outside of the shock, but they just slide off the shock. Just wondered if anybody has found something that works well...
      Thanks in advance, Kelly
      If you have a springs shop anywhere near you, have them add a leaf to each. Not too expensive and putting additional load on the shock mountings isn't a good idea.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My 1963 Wagonaire was not saged down, but the installation of air shocks helped tremendously with ride and handling as well as load carrying.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The main problem is that the shock cross member will rip off the frame when additional stress is added by overloads on the shock mountings. It is just barely tacked, and most of the load is on the rivets, and it pulls and tears away from the main frame at the stress points. I weld and reinforce these areas before subjecting them to additional loads.
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I just ordered some regular gas shocks from Chuck Collins. He didn't feel the helpers were a good idea either. I had never really thought about the extra stress that would place on the shock mounting points. I'll just let it sag. Since they cut me in half a few years ago and installed a new aortic valve, I just dread doing the real heavy stuff anymore. I can do it, but I pay for weeks. There just aren't any shops here I would trust with my cars either. If they are here, they are secret.
            Kelly

Comment

BTW, thanks for all your input!
              Kelly

Comment

I have a 64 wagonaire. got it about 8 months ago. Looking it over, I found it to have air shocks on it. I thought that the car came with them. After reading this post, now I don't know? The shock mounts don't appear to be bent or coming loose. Should I be concerned? When my mechanic but new brakes on the back, he looked the car over very well. Everything looked fine.
                Steve...Happy to be a studebaker owner!

Comment

I put a pair of Columbus self leveling coil shocks on my 64 Wagonaire last year, it already had new springs,
                  it cetainly helped flattening out the corners, without hardening the ride.
                  Bill Foy
                  1000 Islands, Ontario
                  1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

Back when I had a Wagonaire, I added the air shocks and did not think of the consequences. I also added at that time some 1500 lb helper coil springs that bolted to the rear axle and the top was wedged against the frame U. Gave me alot of extra weight carrying capacity, although I never used it. the coil helper springs were about $35 a pair in the mid 90's.

Mark

Comment

I have had really good luck using the Leaf spring overload helper spring leafs, they just bolt on under the Main leaf and can be adjusted by where you place the Rivet for 800, 1000 or 1200 Lbs. boost.

This way you will not tear out the frame crossmember or have those Coil spring boosters that kick right out of the Car.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Boehm View Post
                        I have a 64 wagonaire. got it about 8 months ago. Looking it over, I found it to have air shocks on it. I thought that the car came with them. After reading this post, now I don't know? The shock mounts don't appear to be bent or coming loose. Should I be concerned? When my mechanic but new brakes on the back, he looked the car over very well. Everything looked fine.
                        Steve...Happy to be a studebaker owner!
                        It might have come with them. Air shocks were a Studebaker option. I put NOS Studebaker acccessory air shocks on my Wagonaire. I had pleasure and no problem with them in the years that I used them. For the Studebaker air shocks there should be ONE fill port in the pan below the rear bumper.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Again, you guys are great with all the info. mine must have been an after market. It has 1 line for each shock. She sits level and I don't plan on hauling any thing heavy. Maybe the old ones wore out? Just came back from South Bend. The museum was great. Alot of history in one building. The only problem, no 64 wagonaire on display. Saw a 63 & 65, but still a great time.
                          Steve

Comment

Working...
                          X