Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Front brake drums for 49 Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Front brake drums for 49 Champion

Hello, I am a long time Studebaker owner, but new to the forum. My question is: does anyone know if 5 lug drums from a 60's Mustang will fit. I thought I heard somewhere that they would fit the Champion without any modification. I have a wheel that is bent and if they will interchange, I would like to go to 5 lug instead of 4. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

As common as the Mustang parts are, and as long as people have been searching for an interchange for the 47-50 Champion wheels, I would think we would have known this by now if it were true. But that does not necessarily rule it out. That'd be great if they do, but someone will have to check that out.

At least my response will bump your thread back up to the top for more visibility.

BTW: Some here say a Ford Fairmont (I think) wheel will fit the original Stude drum. I have not been able to verify this myself having spent some serious time with a Hollander's interchange manual. I found the Vega/ Astre wheels might work. But these options would still leave you with a 4 lug.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I also have heard that the Fairmont wheel may fit, but don't know for sure. I have since found out that a 51-53 champion drum will fit, so I may start searching for a pair of them.

Comment

1951-1953 Champion wheel are five-lug, while four-lug was used in the prior for Champion only. That's one of the reasons may in the know say to get a 1951 or later Studebaker because many parts from later models, even though the end of production, will fit. I've heard there is a four-lug wheel out there that will fit our early Champions but have lost the information. And I've heard it is possible to change over the suspension to use Commander parts but it must be a nasty job. Studebaker engineers weren't very smart when it came to utilizing the power of standardization where it won't show to the customer. Sadly I learned all of this AFTER acquiring a 1950 Champion to restore.

Originally posted by Stujo56 View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I also have heard that the Fairmont wheel may fit, but don't know for sure. I have since found out that a 51-53 champion drum will fit, so I may start searching for a pair of them.

Comment

If it is just a wheel you need, I have one 15" 4 hole good used Champion wheel I can sell you reasonable. However I will not be able to ship from Nebraska until mid April.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Working...
          X