Avanti gas tank filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Avanti gas tank filler

Getting ready for paint. Doing all mechanical problems first.

While in storage a couple years ago I found that the paint around my filler was ruined. (see picture) The right rear wheel was in a depression and it did have about 3/4 of a tank.

I took the filler out today. I can see where the pipe meets the body flange that there is some sort of sealer. (second picture). What should I use to redo this joint?Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti gas 11 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	1738254Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti gas 11 002.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1738255Click image for larger version

Name:	avanti gas 11 005.jpg
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1738256

Also, in the third picture, what is the mystery wire? White wire with male connection on end.

I do already have new filler tube and outboard gasket for reassembly.

Thanks

Wife asked when it would be done. I said soon. Is it ever.

The 'sealer', is most likey gasket cement from the old gasket. The white wire is for the optional rear speaker.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Does that white wire have a green or black tracer? I think the rear speaker wire on my '64 has a green tracer. I could be wrong & haven't had a chance to check the wiring diagram in the shop manual.I trust your judgment Bez, you bailed my butt out last summer. Thanks!
      Rob in PA.

Comment

The ruined paint around the filler is due to fuel being spilled on the lacquer paint during filling. Fuel attacks lacquer finishes - not good. This would have nothing to do with the stance during storage (unless the car was stored on its side!)

Comment

Pretty sure the paint job was lacquer. It's not the original, but a respray a long time ago. Probably my fault and a lesson learned. Never too late, even at my age.

What I did find is that the vent line behind the seat is flat. Will have to replace that. Also plan to check return line.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Once your car is painted, you can do as I did on my car to protect the paint from spilled gasoline and the filler itself. I used a protector made for a '78 Corvette...it's fits right around the filler neck and drapes down the fender between the fuel filler and the body. It costs about $6-$7 or so from reproduction Corvette suppliers. You could also cut one yourself from an old inner tube or a sheet of rubber.

I'd add a photo of how it looks on my car but the car is away for work right now.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
            X