62 GT Clock out of control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 62 GT Clock out of control

After attempting to install a new sending unit for the tack - it is not reading and I have not gotten back under to check every connection - but that is another day's story. Upon reconnecting the fuse to the clock it started going like 100 rpm - pulled the fuse to stop the clock. Question is what causes the clock to go around too fast? Correction?
    Thanks
    Robert Swan

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (often am), but most of the electric car clocks of the era are actually spring wound clock works. The electric part merely winds the spring every time you hear it click. If the hands are spinning around, something has happened to the escapement or balance wheel that regulates the clock movement. It will have to be disassembled to be repaired. Some folks have converted these clocks to use a more modern movement. The ones I have are still the old fashioned electric spring wound style.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
      I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong (often am), but most of the electric car clocks of the era are actually spring wound clock works. The electric part merely winds the spring every time you hear it click. If the hands are spinning around, something has happened to the escapement or balance wheel that regulates the clock movement. It will have to be disassembled to be repaired. Some folks have converted these clocks to use a more modern movement. The ones I have are still the old fashioned electric spring wound style.
      Never heard of the problem yours is having. Many claim the OEM Stude Hawk clocks work great, but I have never had one that did. If you want reliability and accuracy, do a quartz conversion. I still have a quartz converted clock in the 56J from the late 1980s; if the time on my wrist watch and that clock disagree, I usually need to set my wrist watch.

Comment

Working...
      X