Doors off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Doors off?

I need to do quite a bit of work to my 60 Lark 2dr sedan doors. Surface rust inside, bad runs and fuzzies, going to put power windows in. I see many recommendations to NOT remove the doors (alignment issues I guess) but I can't move the car from where it is, and would like to be in my workshop with all my tools, with a place to put the doors in various positions for access and the like.

If I do take the doors off, which end of the hinge should I take the screws out of, to give the easiest refit of them when I'm done?
    sigpic
    JohnP, driving & reviving
    60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

I would take the doors off the hinges,if they are already fitting the body nicely I would make some scribe marks to outline hinge to door location.also check for worn hinge pins.
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

My suggestion is to take a good sharp carbide tipped scribe and mark the outline of the hinges on the door. Once you have done that...remove the hinge from the door and, even after painting, you should have a guide for where they were when you removed them. Then, you can adjust as needed. In this way, you can leave the hinge mechanisms on the body pillars. Aside from checking the "hinge pins" for slop and wear...you should be OK since most of the adjustment is where they bolt onto the doors.

Also, if you want to "test fit" your work as you go...get a couple of pieces of threaded rod to insert into a couple of the door hinge screw holes. If you work alone...this can help to locate and stabilize the door into the hinge while you put the screws in.

You are right in wanting to work on the doors "off" the car. Even then, if you need to work on the inside of the cavity, those access openings can be tight and awkward. Good luck with the project.
      Last edited by jclary; 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Another way to mark the door location is to drill an 1/8" hole through the top and bottom hinges that goes through the hinge and into the door. Do this before you remove any of the screws. That way, using a piece of welding rod or a broken 1/8" drill bit, you can use the holes as alignment pins when you're reinstalling and get the door back into its exact location before you tighten the screws.

--Scott

Comment

Another note. Put the weather strip on before installing the door.

Comment

these are all great tips. THANKS!!
            sigpic
            JohnP, driving & reviving
            60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by s2dwagon View Post
              Another way to mark the door location is to drill an 1/8" hole through the top and bottom hinges that goes through the hinge and into the door. Do this before you remove any of the screws. That way, using a piece of welding rod or a broken 1/8" drill bit, you can use the holes as alignment pins when you're reinstalling and get the door back into its exact location before you tighten the screws.

--Scott
              This man is a thinker. Good idea Scott where were you before I removed my doors ???

Dean.
              Last edited by dean pearson; 03-08-2013, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X