V-8 water pump...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: V-8 water pump...

I've been told all Studebaker V-8 water pumps are the same...bnut I also see in catalogs that the Avanti has a special pump.

Is there really a difference in the two?
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Yes there is. Avanti pumps have ribs supporting the snout and a heavier bearing I believe.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
      I've been told all Studebaker V-8 water pumps are the same...bnut I also see in catalogs that the Avanti has a special pump.

All V8 water pumps aren't the same. There is early versus late in which the shaft, seal and bearing are different as well as the hub. Then there is Standard V8 vs Avanti. The Avanti as Gunslinger pointed out and also different seal. Repo lionel stone variety had a problem with cavitation due to incorrect impellor and which caused over heating problems. New production has both improved bearing, seal and impellor. Rebuilt Superior Pump Exchange type also has improved bearing and seal using the original impellor when possible, but also using the correct replacement one.
      Bo

Comment

A lot of new members do not know of the tremendous resource available to Studebaker owners.
        A lot of knowledge here on these pages regarding water pumps.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechx3.html

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
          A lot of new members do not know of the tremendous resource available to Studebaker owners.
          A lot of knowledge here on these pages regarding water pumps.

http://www.studebaker-info.org/rjtechx3.html

Robert Kapteyn
          Am not a new member, but did not know. Now I do. Nice site! Thanks

Comment

SO......now the $64,000. question: assuming all these pumps attach to any Stude V8 block...why not simply make one HD pump for everybody >>>? Price difference ?

Comment

I wonder the same thing with these situations,use one cast for all.
              Originally posted by jackb View Post
              SO......now the $64,000. question: assuming all these pumps attach to any Stude V8 block...why not simply make one HD pump for everybody >>>? Price difference ?
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

One reason is that there is about a $10,00 difference in retail price between a regular and a heavy duty water pump at most of us vendors. We stock both, as some do not care to pay the extra money for a HD pump.
                Originally posted by jackb View Post
                Frank van Doorn
                Omaha, Ne.
                1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                  What all of you seem to be forgetting is that an Avanti Pump is different than a Std. or H.D. V-8 pump.You cannot use a Std. Pump on an Avanti, because of the huge Water Pump Pulley and viscous drive that requires a longer center "nose" than Std. pumps.

I sell all THREE, and the only V-8 they do not ("fit" -using the term loosely) is 1951.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Not forgetting,simply did'nt know !
                    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

What all of you seem to be forgetting is that an Avanti Pump is different than a Std. or H.D. V-8 pump.You cannot use a Std. Pump on an Avanti, because of the huge Water Pump Pulley and viscous drive that requires a longer center "nose" than Std. pumps.

I sell all THREE, and the only V-8 they do not ("fit" -using the term loosely) is 1951.
                    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                    X