Engine coughs when shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: Engine coughs when shifting

I got my 1950 Champion back on the road after 3 years of sitting. I had the carb professionally rebuilt and installed new fuel lines and fuel pump. I cleaned the gas tank and filled it with fresh gas. It starts and runs great but coughs when I shift and then step on the gas. After the cough it runs strong and I can let off the gas and then accellerate with no hesitation. It runs strong but that little cough is getting annoying. Any ideas?

Are you a medical doctor?

I would check the timing and the accelerator pump. Timing could be advanced a bit to much and when you let off the accelerator the vacuum goes way up and advances the timing.
    1948 M15A-20 Flatbed Truck Rescue
    See rescue progress here on this blog:
    http://studem15a-20.blogspot.com/

Comment

Does it have overdrive?
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It runs good---you let off the gas---rpm's drop off---you shift---press back down on the gas and it hickup's? I'm for checking float level

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Does it have overdrive?
          Yes it does have overdrive.

Comment

Just a swag....
            I would suggest checking all your overdrive wires.
            IIRC, you have an ignition interrupter switch on the throttle linkage that momentarily shuts off the ignition to allow the overdrive to engage.
            If that switch is not adjusted right or sticking, it could cause a cutout at shift time.
            I'm just guessing, but it's free to check it out...
            HTIH
            Jeff

Originally posted by Invalid User Name View Post
            Yes it does have overdrive.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The only thing you have actually changed is the carb. I'd go back to the last thing changed prior to the problem and check it. Just because it was professionally rebuilt doesn't mean it couldn't have a problem.......air leak, float level, accelerator pump, who knows.
              sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
              1950 Champion Convertible
              1950 Champion 4Dr
              1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
              1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Engine coughs when shifting?
                Doug, you probably have one of the 50 models that was equipped with AHC.
                It is an automatic hernia check device.
                Last edited by Lark Parker; 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM. Reason: Because I like to edit.
                sigpic
                Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Working...
                X