No announcement yet.

White Wall Radials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They where hankook tires didn't Know china was into tires. Gives real meaning to the alabama song [my baby's made in the usa]

Comment

I just bought 5 Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires. I wanted a North American name on my tires (last year I bought Firestone), these tires are made in Mexico. The tire salesman said expect 6 years and then they will weather. I hope to keep them longer but who knows. The point I am making even if you try to buy a North American name you still don't know where they will be manufactured. I guess Mexico is OK. One thing he did tell me that some of the big box sellers buy up last years tires from the manufacturers inventory. My tires were less than two months old looking at the manufacture date.
      sigpic
      55 President Deluxe
      64 Commander
      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Even though they have familiar names of American brands on the tires it does not mean they are actually made by that company. Information I found tells us that the tire companies sell their old tire molds and the purchaser can just make counterfeit tires from that mold which have no actual connection with the original brand.
        Nick

Comment

I drove the crap out of Hankooks on an Acura. Pretty tough tires. Using Cokers on the Stude. Pricey but pretty.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

I am pleased with my WIDE WHITE walls that I purchased from COKER TIRE. . .American Classic's.
            REPUTATION CHANGES--CHARACTER GROWS--INTEGRITY LEADS

THINK right--TALK right--WALK right--Its that SIMPLE!

Ernest E. Brown http://twitter.com/umpireeebrown
            The church at the Christian Center, Arab, Alabama
            www.thechristiancenter.us
            https://www.facebook.com/Sistah-Luci...3554643351002/

Comment

I know a place that can get me narrow white wall ties (four) for about $500, mounted and balanced. Hankook is the brand and the size he quoted was 205/75R15 radial. He'll even do layaway. But you have to come to Oregon.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                I gotta ask---How did you know they were Chinese? Made in China sticker on the tire? On the purchase invoice?
                Made in China moulded into the tire on these. They were sold by a name brand tire store.. The problem that arose was tread separation at speed. One case I know of a piece of the tread came loose and tore up the inner fender of my Grandaughters Taurus and did enough damage before she could get stopped that it neccesitated the replacement of the entire fender.

Comment

I'm currently fighting a set of Cokers (Cassics) that I bought through Summit. All four tires were out of round, out of true, And all but one impossible to balance. Try over 8 ounces of weight,and it still bounces down the road! Date shows the tires to be only six months old.

I tried shaving them, and had a road force balance done showing that, at best, they still generate an average of 30 LBS. of unbalanced force. I'm fighting with Coker to get $ back. I don't want replacemnts, I have a freind in Carson that has gone through three sets of tires, just to get 4 good ones.

Some how I don't think Coker ever intended these tires to ever be actually driven at hiway speeds.

I'm going to get a set of Diamond Backs, and try them.

At least they (the Diamond Backs) are not made in Mexico, at a plant that Michilin built, only to end up abandoning it after never being able to get a quality product out of it.

Doug

Comment

Doug, I have had to replace 6 Coker tires, ply seperations, bubbles and cracking white walls. Their customer service is good, they replaced the tires, pro-rated of course. I got tired of paying to have tires mounted and balanced and switched to Diamond Back. Never looked back.
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Yeah Pat, I believe we talked about this when Charyl, and I visited you folks a couple of weeks ago. Great visit by the way!

Its pretty much on your advice that I contacted Diamond Back. Your right, Cokers customer service is pretty good, to a point. They want to send me new tires, but I'm not a gambler! I'd just as soon have the money back. Not their policy, I'm told, and they're tring to duck behind the third party sale from Summit.

Not to worry though, I'm wearing them down!

If you count the cost of the tire shaving, the forced road balance, and my own time spent on these darn things, they've gotten to be pretty expensive tires.

Doug

Comment

And Coker is made where???
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I rea an article not long ago, maybe on here, that told of grinding the black off of narrow, or raised letter, tires to get a wide whitewall. I talked to a man who had done that to the tires on a 1950 Ford coupe. They looked really good, and he said he had no trouble with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                            And Coker is made where???
                            "At least they (the Diamond Backs) are not made in Mexico, at a plant that Michilin built, only to end up abandoning it after never being able to get a quality product out of it."

Mexico.
                            They're labled as such on the back side of the tire. I thought they were made here when I bought them, but have since learned otherwise

Doug
                            Last edited by Gold Hawk Doug; 03-06-2013, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                              I rea an article not long ago, maybe on here, that told of grinding the black off of narrow, or raised letter, tires to get a wide whitewall. I talked to a man who had done that to the tires on a 1950 Ford coupe. They looked really good, and he said he had no trouble with them.
                              Yep; entirely possible, Sam, and often done...at least "back in the day." BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                                see post #2, I provided a youtube link.
                                sigpic
                                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Working...
                                X