White Wall Radials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: White Wall Radials

Ours are in need of replacement. Any recommendations of ones that won't cost a small fortune?
    Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom in Yuma, AZ
    jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection

Pretty rare birds these days, other than specialty tire companies like Coker and Diamond Back, I can`t really think of where to get some. Have you cruised the TireRack website? Thinking they just don`t have them anymore at your local tire shop... or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkcm3rh60p0

Or this... http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3074

or Portawalls. Years ago (1989) when I worked at a GM dealership, this guy in a step-van would come around to our used car lot and add white walls to our cars to spice them up a bit. He would take the tire and rim off the used car, mount it on what looked like a super slow speed tire balancer that would rotate the tire, then hold a bottle of 'goop' that had a small wheel on the end. As the tire rotated the goop would build up white wall that was about 3/32 of an inch from the side wall. What ever the thinner was in the goop evaporated really fast, and stunk like crazy. By the time the tire was put back on the car the white wall was dry enough to touch. Was really slick system and looked really good...imagine the enviro-police wouldn't allow this type of voc's anymore...plus the operator was in a perma-stoned state. Still, was really cool to watch when I was bored and no one on the lot to sell cars to.

Regards, Junior.
    Last edited by junior; 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
      >>>Have you cruised the TireRack website?<<< Regards, Junior.
      How appropriate that you mentioned "TireRack" as a possible source for tires to fit a Studebaker!!! Were you aware of the "South Bend connection" of Studebakers and TireRack???

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
        How appropriate that you mentioned "TireRack" as a possible source for tires to fit a Studebaker!!! Were you aware of the "South Bend connection" of Studebakers and TireRack???

no...please educate me...just suggested this site because I always find it has lots of useful information. Regards, Junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

White wall radials are available at local tire stores if you can live with a 3/4 inch white wall.
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

I just got 5 for my 56 Champion from Diamond Back. $209.00 a piece. If you go to their web site you get lots of choices. I like the way they make them. Lots of good info on their web site about construction of the wide white walls and their method of making them as well as their special rubber used for them.
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              no...please educate me...just suggested this site because I always find it has lots of useful information. Regards, Junior
              Well, here is the short of it:

The Studebaker Brothers and the Veldman Brothers both began their vehicle related empires in SOUTH BEND"TireRack" as one of their many business ventures and at one point their only "TireRack"Studebaker International"TireRack":
              http://www.veldmanfamily.com/G1-01-Pete-TireRack.htm

I never met any of the Studebaker Brothers, but have met some of the Veldman Brothers.

Comment

I have Diamondback wide whites on two of my cars. Great service, excellent white wall construction and the thing I like best, all the tire info is on the back side leave nice clean looking tires.

Comment

I got a price from discount tire for 4 new tires with 1" white walls mounted and out the door for just under $400.

Comment

Weren't chinese were they? Some folks here bought chinese tires because of the wider whitewall and cheaper price but had some really severe problems with them.

Comment

I gotta ask---How did you know they were Chinese? Made in China sticker on the tire? On the purchase invoice?

Comment

Did the salesman have trouble with his "R"s?
                        Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
                          I gotta ask---How did you know they were Chinese? Made in China sticker on the tire? On the purchase invoice?
                          There's a DOT plant code stamped on the inside side wall of each tire. Here's a link to a summary of the codes.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Check out Hankook tires. Most are made with a 1 inch white stripe and I got mine for
                            under $100. They are good tires. I think made in Taiwan or South Korea.
                            The 1950 Champion Starlight
                            Santa Barbara
                            CA

Comment

In addition to Skip's link, the country of manufacture will be molded into the sidewall somewhere.

I've had occasion to monitor the country of manufacture due to an unusual coincidence maybe six years ago.

I bought a new set of generic Mastercraft tires for our 1996 Chevy Lumina. All four were identical in every respect, and all were bought at the same store (Indy Tire) at exactly the same time. I had taken the old tires and wheels in because I had them off anyway in the course of doing an oil change and checking the brakes. So I picked up the new tires (mounted and balanced on the wheels, of course) with my truck and took them back to my house/shop to put them on the car.

When I got home, I happen to notice that two of the tires were made in China and the other two were made in The United States! Other then those countries of origin, the tires were identical in every respect and you could not tell one from the other.

So I decided to put two from one country on one end of the car and the two from the other country on the other end of the car and keep them paired together, one end or the other, as I rotated and balanced them through the years, to monitor their wear and characteristics that would reflect quality.

My experience has been this during these six-odd years: All four tires have worn as equally as can be measured; no problems there. All four require more-or-less "normal" weights to balance; neither country is "better" as to being inherently better-balanced.

There are two noticeable differences, however:

1. The China-made tires do not lose air as quickly
                              as do the USA-made tires. All tires lose some air, of course, but if I check these at eactly the same time interval, I will find that the China-made tires might lose 2 psi each, whereas the USA-made tires will lose about 4 psi each in the same time period.

2. The USA-made tires have aged better. That is, the normal rubber checking and cracking to be expected in any tires of this age, shows that the China-made tires appear to have a slightly lower (or poorer) quality rubber, because the severity of their microscopic age cracks is visibly worse than those on the USA-made tires.

Kind of interesting, I think, since I've eliminated virtually all variables except country of manufacture. (Their age dates when purchased were within a couple months of each other, so that isn't a factor. None of them have been punctured or repaired during this time, either.) BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X