1952 Champion 2 dr to convertable frame x brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame / Springs: 1952 Champion 2 dr to convertable frame x brace

Thanks for the help on the fire wall. I have been looking at the frame and don't feel great about it. This car was converted to a convertable several years ago and seems ok but I remember somewhere I saw and ad for someone selling a convertable x brace. Can anyone tell me if they have seen the add or have an idea. Thanks again for your help

The 52 Convertibles do not have an X brace, mine doesn't, and until I "dragged it home" it was pretty much unmolested.

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

But, since your car was not built as a convertible....an 'X' brace from a later convertible, or sliding roof wagonaire would be a good addition
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

What 2 door did you car start out as? If it was a hardtop, it would already have the extra floor bracing (hog-troughs) that was found on the convertibles.

Comment

Originally posted by Michidan View Post
          What 2 door did you car start out as? If it was a hardtop, it would already have the extra floor bracing (hog-troughs) that was found on the convertibles.
          I am in the process of making hog troughs for my 47 Champion. I am in the modelling stage now. I don't think your 52 will have an x member. I am going to put my convertible body on a 4 dr frame. They are the same except for 4 additional body mounts and the torque boxes of course. The x members were on the 59 and up Lark convertibles and the Avanti as near as I can tell from all sources I can find.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by avantibngrant View Post
            The x members were on the 59 and up Lark convertibles and the Avanti as near as I can tell from all sources I can find.

Neil
            Sliding roof wagonaires also had the X member
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1679243 I believe it is a two door hard top K2. Can you explain hog troughs. I am going to replace the floor boards with the ones you can get on line from Classic Enterprises. I also see they have front middle and rear body support replacements has anyone used them.
              Thanks
              Greg

Comment

Well, 47-52 convertibles(including the 52 hardtops "K2") had additional box structures welded to the floors/inner rocker panels along each side running from the front body mount to the front of the rear wheel well. That said, these parts are not reproduced by any vendors I have found. As avantibngrant stated he is working making them and drawing for his convertible. There is no mention of these in the Studebaker manuals and the Studebaker National Museum achieves do not have a complete set of drawing either. Here are some pictures I have gathered of the hog troughs/torque boxs:

Name:	Stude 0028.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1679248Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque boxes 52 Hardtop 001.jpg
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1679247

Name:	Torque Boxes.jpg
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	1679246 Click image for larger version

Name:	Torque boxes 52 Hardtop 011.JPG
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	1679245
                The first one shows where a missing one should be.

Comment

I think you are in luck. 12G-K2 is (was) indeed a Champion 2 door hardtop. The body is already braced to the same degree a real 52 convertible would be. They used the existing convertible body tub, then tacked on a roof. The windows are all the same as the convertible also. It would not have been a big chore to zip the roof off your car. I've wanted to try it myself, but keep the roof as a true removeable hardtop.
                  Anyway, Hog troughs i.e. tourque boxes are a second set of flooring. These are between the frame rails and the rocker panels. They are maybe 4 inches below the interior floor, and have a few internal cross braces. They go from the firewall all the way back to the rear wheel well. They stiffen the body, and body and frame work in conjunction for overall rigidity. That's why you'll find something like 26 body bolts. Not just a couple like some cars.
                  Now your problem is likely rust. If tourque boxes are rusted away they can't do their job. I repaired mine peice by piece, and it took a long time. There is an excellent current thread about remaking these from scratch, with pictures. You won't find reproductions for your car.
                  I bought the classic repro floors back in 2001. Fit was OK, not perfect. I believe they are even more improved now.

Comment

You guys are the greatest. I was wondering why I did not seem to have the body mounting pods that
                    classic sells, it just did not seem right but now I realize I do have the hog troughs and they are not
                    rusted out YEAAAA

Comment

Dan,

re: remaking Torque boxes. Where is the thread??

Comment

55s: the title is "1947 Champion convertible frame - same as a 47 4 door champion?" for some reason I couldn't copy/paste the www.

Comment

Originally posted by 55s View Post
                          Dan,

re: remaking Torque boxes. Where is the thread??
                          Here is the one I was thinking of. Nicely done.
                          On a lark, but same stuff. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=trough

Comment

Torque box for 47 to 52 convertible and 52 hardtops

High Dan. I am the guy making the torque boxes for the 47 Champion Convertible. I sent you an email to the website called studebaker hard tops. I was wondering if you had any more pictures of the torque boxes especially around the batwing mounts you could share with me to help my project along. Near as I can tell the seam of the torque boxes falls just about in line with the mount hole and I was wondering how Studebaker handled this originally. I have amassed a lot of pictures from many sources, but not many of the front mount area or rear torque box area. Any help is appreciated.
                            Regards

Neil
                            Attached Files

Comment

fatboylust posted a picture of mine. It is the pic. of the torque box painted black. My body is still off and could provide more detailed pictures if needed by anyone attempting to remake them.
                              Just send a pm.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
                              X