1950's black light dashlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1950's black light dashlights

I've been trying to figure out my dash lights for a while now. And I stumbled across something I thought was pretty interesting. My 1950 -9 G Champion dash gauges (speedo, oil, amp, temp etc) are dull and original. I took it all apart (glass, cork, face, etc. etc.) to see how it functions. It appears there are glass hat coverings over the bulbs. The hats look like their painted, but their not, the glass is tinted. I guess the best way to describe the glass hat tinted covering is ---it looks like a rounded hat that covers about 90% of your head(bulb). I have a small flashlight with a 1/2" beam. Turning the flashlight on, I could not see through the tinted glass. When I pointed the flash light toward a neon poster, (through the hat) I had on the garage wall with the lights out.....the sign lit up like the black light theory we know of now....I thought this was cool. Never thought they had that theory back then. Studebaker never stops amazing me. Rick

Yes indeed, Rick! Substantially reduced the glare from the gauges when driving at night but brightly illuminated the fluorescent painted numerals and needles. Unfortunately, over time the fluorescent paint has deteriorated. There are a couple dozen previous threads on how to make them bright again. You can use the "Advanced Search" function on the upper right of this page to explore them.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

I know about the advanced search. The only problem I have is " you have to know what to put in there to begin with". I didn't know if to search for florescent or luminescent. And if bulbs, lights, dash, etc. I got a lot of good info. Was hoping someone can come up with the paint they bought and re-painted their face. Thanks

Comment

I just cleaned my gauge faces with a slightly damp cloth, carefully wiping much of the accumulated dust, etc off. The gauges glow much brighter now, didn't need to repaint anything.
        sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
        Regal Deluxe Trim
        Automatic transmission
        46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

As has been already stated, the numerals on the instrument faces have lost a lot of their luminescence over the years. I've not tried restoring any of the paint yet. The domed lenses are black light filters and I'm guessing they have darkened over the years and this is not helped by the 6 VDC system. One thing I did that improved the situation in many respects was to convert to a 6 volt alternator. All of the lights work better and my battery holds a better charge. I've seen some comments about using 6 volt LEDs and that's on my list when the weather gets warmer. As you've probably learned, working under the dash on one of these old cars is not fun. I usually drop the radio out for better access. I'll post the results of my light bulb experiment.

Originally posted by bosshoss61 View Post
          I've been trying to figure out my dash lights for a while now. And I stumbled across something I thought was pretty interesting. My 1950 -9 G Champion dash gauges (speedo, oil, amp, temp etc) are dull and original. I took it all apart (glass, cork, face, etc. etc.) to see how it functions. It appears there are glass hat coverings over the bulbs. The hats look like their painted, but their not, the glass is tinted. I guess the best way to describe the glass hat tinted covering is ---it looks like a rounded hat that covers about 90% of your head(bulb). I have a small flashlight with a 1/2" beam. Turning the flashlight on, I could not see through the tinted glass. When I pointed the flash light toward a neon poster, (through the hat) I had on the garage wall with the lights out.....the sign lit up like the black light theory we know of now....I thought this was cool. Never thought they had that theory back then. Studebaker never stops amazing me. Rick

Comment

Yes, I dropped the radio, and pretty much everything else, to better access pulling the gauges...
            sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
            Regal Deluxe Trim
            Automatic transmission
            46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Found this online---interesting. Did you find an ac to dc converter and why? Electromagnetic Induction

• Alternators and generators work through the process of electromagnetic induction. This means that a changing magnetic field, if applied to a coil of conductive wire, will produce a current. Conversely if a current is applied to a coil of wire, it will produce a magnetic field.

Generators

• In automobiles, generators are connected by a pulley to the drive shaft. This pulley spins a coil of wire, called the armature, inside of a magnetic field. Electricity is created that can be used to power the car's electronics.

• Sponsored Links

Alternators

• Alternators work in a similar way to generators. The main difference is that in an alternator the armature is static and the magnet is rotated to produce the current.

DC and AC Power

• While generators produce a direct current (DC), alternators produce an alternating current (AC). This means that power generated by an alternator must be converted to DC before it can be used.

Efficiency

• The amount of current produced by a generator depends on how fast the engine is running. Alternators have an easier time producing maximum current, since the heavier armature is fixed and the lighter magnet is rotated. Alternators can power most of a car's electronics, even if the engine is idling, which is the main reason they are used in automobiles today

Read more: Difference Between Alternators & Generators | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/facts_5965116_di...#ixzz2MbJfAUo1

Comment

Working...
              X