Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

62-63' Lark front fender/apron re-fit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body: 62-63' Lark front fender/apron re-fit...

I have a NOS inner fender apron for the driver's side front fender. The outer fender is great. The battery tray is rusted to missing. I'd like to remove (separate) the 2, and replace with the NOS apron. The engine and steering gear are out of the car. I've seen screws, pop rivets, etc....

I have used two methods, one is to use pop rivets and the second which I prefer is as follows:

I do not have a spot welder so what I have done is use the method shown to me by an old time body man. I drilled holes and used screws to get the new inner fender placed and held correctly in the correct position I wanted it. I then removed the screws one by one and tach'd welded them close thus holding the fender parts together. Some grinding may be needed.

The pop rivets are faster and probably fine for a driver but are not necessarily desirable for a show or semi-show car.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

BTW...how big a drill bit to pop through the spot welds ??

Comment

I use a 1/8 drill bit for most spot welds. I would not recomend using pop rivets. After drilling out the spot welds on the existing outer fender, grind the mating surface of the new inner apron, apply "weld through primer" and "puddle weld." Years ago before the advent of mig welding I used coated brass rod. That was satisfactory for the time but required extreme cleanliness after welding due to the flux on the rod. Oxy/act welding requires more heat but in this area would not be detrimental but mig welding is the best. Use some 1/8 self tapping screws to align the panel & test fit before welding. You'll only need 4 screws to hold-one on each end of the hood opening & 2 to hold to the front air panel (headlamp mounting panel). Hope this helps you.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
        X