No announcement yet.

65 283 owners: please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 65 with the 283. The automatic is not exactly the same as the 1964. The 1965-66 cars have coolant lines from the transmission to the radiator. My 64 Daytona's automatic certainly had nothing like that.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I will offer the mea culpa that never having owned,driven,dare I say study those year Studes I was basing my suggestion on the Chev A/T
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

the water cooling was used only on the Powershift and Heavy Duty Flightomatic, but it was certainly available at least as early as 1957. Now that I think about it I seem to recall being told that the truck transmissions used a vacuum modulator, and also later FMXs had a modulator, so it is possible that the 65-66 trannies also had a modulator as well. I just don't know, but it's worth crawling under and taking a look. If it's idling and smoking, and you disconnect the vacuum hose and the smoke stops, that's your problem.

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

A '65 Flightomatic has no modulator; have one in the barn. But, IIRC, all '65 and '66 V8 cars used a water-cooled Flightomatic.

Of course, some prior owner of the car could have pulled the Flightomatic and dropped in a TH-350, which does use a modulator.

And burning ATF does lay down a smokescreen.

If the car is burning coolant, the exhaust should have a distinctive sweet odor, and the loss of coolant should become obvious.

If it does turn out to be valve guide seals, it easy to install a set of Studebaker V8 valve seals into the Chevy motor. I did this on a V8 Monza I had, and it made a dramatic improvement.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Okay, thanks everybody for your input. Let me address those issues (if I can remember them all)... No vacuum modulator, though the trans does have coolant lines which route through the bottom tank of the radiator. When you bring up valve seals, are you saying it might be sucking oil down the guides? Redone heads, new perfect circle seals, and the smoke/steam is definitely white, not blue at all, and doesn't smell like oil. Haven't had it back together long enough to know if it is drinking coolant for sure. Will a cylinder leakdown test tell me about water issues? What about unhooking one spark plug wire at a time and seeing if the steam/smoke stops? Oh, also have changed the intake manifold, and checked it for cracks.Hmmmm... Well thanks anyway, I'll check out things more thoroughly. Thank you all
            Kelly

Comment

Doesn't sound like an oil leak. Do a pressure test on the cooling system, check the trans fluid and see if it is milky, which would be the result of coolant in there. (radiator cooler leak).
              I've just put a new V-8 chevybaker motor in my 66 Daytona and will be firing it up shortly. Hope it runs well, they aren't fun to wedge in the Stude body!

Brian K. Curtis

Comment

Brian, good luck on your transplant! What did you put in, and did you have any compatibility issues? I may yet be using a different engine.I never really thought it was oil, and there's no milky look to the trans fluid. I really believe it's water, so I guess a pressure test is in order. I've got a friend who can get me a 350 horse 350 for about a grand... this has become quite the saga!
                thanks for your response

Comment

A can of KW Block Sealer will turn off the smoke, if it is coming from water through some passage where it shouldn't be.

Follow the directions on the can and done.

Comment

Well, I'm just impatient, I guess. I went out and drove the Cruiser and did the ring-seating procedure (in the country, so I wouldn't get jailed for fogging out the city of Boise), and the thing completely stopped smoking. No water usage at all, and no more blue or white smoke/steam. The rebuild must be okay, it runs so smooth now, that you can't feel it at a stoplight. Thanks for all your input.
                    Kelly

Comment

Working...
                    X