Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing Flow Test Results on Stude Heads

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    They squeeze, press, pump, force, push an abrasive goop through the ports that smooths out the walls.
    There is probably a video on Youtube.
    South Lompoc Studebaker

    Comment


    • #17
      Thanks. Sounds like it wouldn't be very selective about which metal was removed.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

      Comment


      • #18
        Just to be open and honest about Mike's statements that he made about me on this forum yesterday...
        I went back and found what I asked on the other forum (listed below)....
        A terribly harrasing question to be asked, huh?
        The replies are interesting...
        This is a useless conversation, but integrity means a lot to me.
        Jeff

        http://www.racingstudebakers.com/foo...p=29874#p29874

        (copy)
        Re: To all interested in two new products
        by Jeff Rice
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

        Jeff


        Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



        Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

        Comment


        • #19
          Hello everyone.
          I'm an old Studebaker owner (literally) and may have some info others may find interesting. Don't nit pick me as my memory is not what it was.
          Back in the early 70's I purchased a dual 4 bbl intake, carbs and aircleaner from Chris at Stu-V products in California. It was intended for my 1963 GT Hawk which I still own. It wasn't long before I recognized that it was way too much carburetion for a stock 289.(it was sized for the stock heads, not R3 style). So I decided to build an R-4 using my existing 289. I bored it out to 304.5 cid and used Jahn's 12.5 to 1 forged pistons and here is where it got interesting. I tackled the obvious shortcomings of the stock heads. Using a head as a guide I cut it through the combustion chamber two ways to see how much metal was really there. As these recent modifications of ZennDogs' are showing, there is a lot of metal in a Stude head. The first go round I believe I installed modified intake valves from a Ford 406. I lightened and tuliped the valves and although they were a tight fit, they proved to be a substantial improvement along with the obvious porting & polishing I performed. For an appropriate camshaft I contacted Racer Brown in Los Angeles and he drove over to Frost & French and picked up a 288 degree Avanti camshaft. He did his magic on it and voila, it worked extremely well. I stayed with the solid lifter cam but if I recall the tappet settings are now in the 12 thou region. This motor can handle all the carburetion from the 3610 & 3611 S carbs. I had it on the track at a nostagia meet a number of years ago and if it hadn't been for a serious hangover I know we would have run even faster. Each jet change (richer) on the front carb only was dropping the et by almost one half second. We ended up at 14 flat, approx 92 mph. At some point valve float became an issue so I changed the valves for modified International Harvester ones. This car still has this motor and if it weren't for lack of appropriate fuel it would still be driven today. I have an original Granatelli R-4 which I obtained from a circle track racer circa 1980 which I had always intended to replace my homemade one. Unfortunately old age and life got in the way.
          I hope someone else can modify their heads in a similar manner because that was all it took to wake up the old Stude.
          Good luck to ZennDog as I am very intrigued with what he is doing.
          Cheers, Bill

          Comment

          Working...
          X