Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Johnson
    replied
    I got the bolts from Shephen Allen and though someone might like to see what they look like. The part number is 531075

Regards,
    Jerry

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    see my post in the other thread, they're expensive because apparently NOBODY makes fine thread carriage bolts anymore. also you are correct they are 5/16" fine thread not 1/4" as I indicated above. But I can tell you that they really are fine thread, having replaced a few shocks on Studebakers. This is one of those things that drives me nuts when I replace them because I know that I am using the "wrong" hardware when I use a coarse thread bolt...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Johnson
    replied
    Yes as was indicated in answers I received, they really are just sitting in there under the springs. Three are broken off and one is intact. I called Stephen Allen and they pointed out the bolt part number can be found in the book right under the part number for the "Support, Front Shock Absorber Lower" [1801-50] p/n 527925. The bolt p/n is 531075 and the description is "BOLT, To Steering Knuckle Control Arm 5/16-24*3/4. That seems to be correct, based on the one bolt I have left. Well, these bolts seem to be special and based on the price $3.50 ea. they must be. Well anyway, I just and ordered four of them. Funny, the book calls out for (4) nuts right under the (4) bolt callout, but calls for a 5/16-18.
    Some thing is not right there, but I will use what ever nut is required when I get and install these very expensive bolts.

Regards,
    Jerry

Leave a comment:

• N8N
    replied
    they are actually 1/4-28 carriage bolts, but I am unaware of a source for these, unless McMaster-Carr or someone like that carries them. Sort of like the coarse thread castellated nuts that hold the hood on...

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Johnson
    replied
    Well, maybe I am lucky. I will get a better look at it tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Jerry

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Weird, I don't recall them being under the spring and am sure there were clips to hold the bolt head in the hole. Maybe different on 53 and up I guess.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• rockne10
    replied
    quote:Maybe they just set in there in the square hole and are held down by the spring, no I would never be that lucky.
    You are that lucky!

CARRIAGE BOLTS!! Need to retract the spring and cushion to install them.
    Brad Johnson
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight

Leave a comment:

• Jeff_H
    replied
    If this is the stamped out part that the rod from the bottom of the shock goes into and bolts to the bottom of the lower A arm, the ones I have seen are held to the A arm with two 1/4-20x1" carriage bolts. The heads are under the rubber shim that is between the coil spring and the A arm. The square part locks into the A arm so it won't turn. If the spring is out they push right out, may be rusted in place though.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    They are pretty much stove bolts held in by clips. I just drive them out and install regular nuts and bolts. It's a little tricky to fish a wrench to hold the bolt head, but it's doable.

JDP/Maryland
    64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
    64 GT R2
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 & 53 Starliner
    51 Commander

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Johnson
    started a topic Broken Studs Front Axle Lower Arm

Broken Studs Front Axle Lower Arm

Wow things really turned ugly today.[xx(][xx(] I started looking into what will need to be done to get front and back shocks on the 51 Stude. Found some real problems which makes me wonder why I didn't turn the frame upside down and look it over good before I sent it out for sand blast and paint. The first problem is that I could only find one of the two required SUPPORT, "Front Shock Absorber Lower" the part which bolts onto the two studs which are suppose to be sticking out of the bottom of the Lower Arm. The one I did find (got this car as a basket case already disassembled) had gobs of brazing on it[?][?]. When I looked under the car I see why, I found both the studs are broken off of both sides. The parts book I have does not show or list a part number for those studs. Must be part of the Lower Arm. Does anyone know how they are mounted in there. Are they pressed in[?] Maybe they were spot welded[?] Maybe they just set in there in the square hole and are held down by the spring, no I would never be that lucky. Anyway, has anyone had to deal with this problem[?] Can anyone tell me what these studs looked like or where I might get them[?]

By the way, I have linked to a home page that has a lot of detail about this frame off restoration if your interested click on the home page link above.

Regards,
    Jerry Johnson
Working...
X