Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Member looking at '57 Studebaker Silver Hawk

Hello

I'm a new member and would like to ask the experts here a question.

My brother is looking to buy a 57 Silver Hawk in the Cincinnati, Ohio area.

I am going to have a look at it this week to help him decide whether or not to purchase this car. I am not knowledgable about Studebakers (although our family owned a 59 Lark 2 door wagon and a 60 Lark convertible in our younger years).

The car has been restored at some time in the past, and appeared to my brother to have minor flaws in the body, but sound mechanically.

Can anyone point me to specific areas I should be looking for in this body style? Typical rust areas, leaks, signs of bodywork, etc?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

Mark,

Welcome aboard! The biggest issue with any Hawk is rust. It typically occurs in the floor and trunk pans, as well in the dogleg at the rear of the front fender, rockers and fore of the rear wheels. It is best to get the car on a lift where you can see the condition of the underside, paying close attention to the floors, body mounts as well as the frame. Be sure the doors open and close properly and that the "A" pillar that the door hinges off of is solid at the bottom.

A leaking rear main is to be expected and if it has done its job it may have reduced the rust underneath. Many soft parts are availaible, but unless you have good skills with a welder and sheet metal or deep pockets, you do not want to tackle a rusty car.

Be sure the title matches either the serial number or the engine number (on a machined pad at the front next to the oil filler tube). If you can get some pictures we can try to help you on value. Good luck!

Gary

Comment

Guido

Thanks for the information. I will post some images after I have a look at it.

I am much more familiar with GM A / G bodies, so your help is very valuable.

Thanks again,
      Mark

Comment

Studebakers have a thin frame. Some pin holes in the floor wouldn't condemn the car,but a soft frame could be a disaster. I'd suggest look very closely at the frame,just to add to what Guido has said.

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thanks 52hawk. Apparently the potential sale is off. I will post again if the situation changes.

Thanks all,
          Mark

Comment

Hey Guys

After several years and a Thunderbird addition to the family, we finally have our Hawk. It is a black 61 with a 289 1 bbl carb, automatic trans, manual brakes and steering, original red interior. Body has been painted and the chrome re-done. Many heads turning on it's initial voyage here.

The only issue after getting to here was the fuel pump quit. We had our local shop order the pump - they weren't sure if this was a Studebaker manufactured engine or an International Harvester-built engine. I believe Studebaker built these 289s... With a quick fuel pump change and a fix on the e-brake, we are good to go.

Thanks for the help from over 4 years ago!

Mark

Comment

It is a Studebaker built engine. International never built engines for Studebaker cars.
              Originally posted by gramps View Post
              Hey Guys

After several years and a Thunderbird addition to the family, we finally have our Hawk. It is a black 61 with a 289 1 bbl carb, automatic trans, manual brakes and steering, original red interior. Body has been painted and the chrome re-done. Many heads turning on it's initial voyage here.

The only issue after getting to here was the fuel pump quit. We had our local shop order the pump - they weren't sure if this was a Studebaker manufactured engine or an International Harvester-built engine. I believe Studebaker built these 289s... With a quick fuel pump change and a fix on the e-brake, we are good to go.

Thanks for the help from over 4 years ago!

Mark
              Frank van Doorn
              Omaha, Ne.
              1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
              1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
              1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
                It is a Studebaker built engine. International never built engines for Studebaker cars.
                Nor did Ford. Studebaker built their own engines until running out of them in 1965 and car production continued until 1966 with GM McKinnon 283 cid

Welcome back after 4 years Gramps. Black is my favorite color in the Hawk lineup. Did you get a 4 speed or Automatic Hawk? Do we get to see some pictures?

Do yourself a big favor and check out the Studebaker Vendors for parts. It will save you a ton of money rather than having your mechanic supply them. You can find the vendors here: http://www.studebakervendors.com/

Allen
                Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 10-21-2011, 10:53 AM.
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Pics

Thank guys, we will review the Vendor list for sure.

Here are a few pics of the Hawk. Haven't had the opportunity to get better ones yet.

Allen, the car is an automatic, manual brakes and steering.

Thanks,
                  Mark
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi, Mark;

Can you psot some under-hood pics of the car; specifically, photos of the right side of the engine, down low?

Reason I ask: Is this the car that was for sale a year or two ago at a dealer somewhere? If it is, and it does look like it, it has a later engine in it known as a "full-flow" engine. It is so named because the oil filter is a full-flow, spin-on unit and is located under the right rear of the engine room, serviced from below the car.

There's nothing wrong with that; in fact, it is a "plus" for all purposes except concours authenticity. But you'd want to know what engine you have for ordering parts. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Great looking Car!
                      I am curently restoring a 61 "Stella" for my wife.
                      Hope to have it at the 2012 International in South Bend.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Welcome and nice looking Hawk.
                        If you are going for authenticity, the two-tone stripe at the rear fin should be ivory color (not red, or anything else).
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Beautiful car! Most 'engine people' will point out how much the Studebaker v-8 resembles a Cadillac v-8.
                          One thing that bugs me is the grille ornament in the wrong location!!
                          Gary is,of course,correct about the rear side stripes,but they look so good red,[and matching the interior]-I'd surely leave them that way.
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thanks, Guys

Interesting that the insets on the fins should be Ivory in all color combinations. Probably will keep the red just for show, at least for now.

Is the ornament two spots too close to the center? i saw an original Ad and it seems the ornament was 1 or 1.5 grille "columns" away from the grille edge.

I will try to get some pics of the engine and post them here as well.

Thanks for all of the help and comments, much appreciated.

Mark
                            Last edited by gramps; 10-22-2011, 05:50 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by gramps View Post
                              Thanks, Guys

Is the ornament two spots too close to the center? i saw an original Ad and it seems the ornament was 1 or 1.5 grille "columns" away from the grille edge.

I will try to get some pics of the engine and post them here as well.

Thanks for all of the help and comments, much appreciated.

Mark
                              Yes, the grille emblem is too close to the center of the grille. When mounted correctly, it is about equidistant from both the side and the bottom of the griil.

'Let us know on that engine. You don't actually have to take pics if you don't want to; just see if the oil filter is at the bottom rear of the engine on the passenger side, pointing down toward the ground where it would be spun off and changed from underneath the car at the rear of the engine block. BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X