Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

1960 Lark, 6 cylinder, 3 speed OD bellhousing color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission: 1960 Lark, 6 cylinder, 3 speed OD bellhousing color

I have a question, i need to know what the correct color is for my MTM bellhousing, i have a 1960 Lark, 3 speed OD, 6 cylinder

thank you
    John

I don't know what MTM stands for, but the engine and transmission, including overdrive, are painted silver.
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champ,
    \'50 Starlight Champ,
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

MTM = manual transmission. ATM = automatic transmission. thank you for the reply, that is what i needed
      John

Comment

Is there somewhere to go to find out what original engine and drivetrain colors are for a particular model?

Comment

It seems to be the thing every couple of Months for someone to ask. There are Many, many posts about that.

But the truth is these varied so little there are only 5 Basic Power Train combos.
          Sixes and V-8's:

Bell telephone/Packard Olive Green '47 to '54

As EVERYTHING seemed to vary a lot on '55's this one gets complicated; Dark Blue Engine, Silver Valve Covers and Air Cleaner on Commander, Gold on President.

Turquoise Green on '56-'57

Silver on '58 to '61

Black on '62 to '66

V-8's:
          If you think about how this would be done, it is easy to see the easiest way to do the details.

If they are on the basic complete engine; Bell Housing, Transmission, just shoot EVERYTHING one Block Color, that's ALL of it, Water, Intake and Exhaust Manifolds (with only overspray on Exh.) Block, Heads all but the Electrical Components which were Purchased already Painted and went on last and were mostly Semi Gloss Black. And the Valve Covers that were masked.

These were all Black '51 to 1960 Except 1955.
          '61 and Early '62 (Partial Flow Oil Filter) Red/Orange slightly favoring the Red.
          Late '62 (Full Flow Oil Filter) to early 1965 pale Yellow.
          Late 1965 to '66 Black

There were a few years where there were left over or too many Painted Engines to match the yearly shutdown and startup. So there were a very few '57's with '58 Colors and a few '58's with '57 colors reported to exist.

The truck Line had different shutdown Dates and next years already painted Car/Truck Engines sometimes got ID'd as Truck Engines and installed in the latest of last years Trucks.
          Last edited by StudeRich; 03-30-2013, 10:29 PM.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Interesting. I am looking at a 60 wagon VI and that engine must have been the turquoise color, although as it's faded it sure looks green rather blue/turquoisey.

I'm going to look at it again Sunday, I'll try to pay more attention to the hue. It may be that someone had repainted it in the past, but if they did, they did a factory appearing paint job, ie, all in one blob. I'll try to check out the bellhousing as well.

Comment

Engines that have been overhauled or rebuilt can be any color the builder liked or had laying around. Some examples on cars for sale are terrible.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

That may well have been what happened. I don't think he has it, but I am going to ask the c.o. and a p.o. if they know about any paperwork on the rebuild Sunday. It isn't a bad looking color, at least; even more important, it isn't showing hardly any oil leaks!

Comment

If it is Olive Green they could have used the '47-'54 Green, or on a Rebuild, usually just the off the shelf Engine Green, plain ol Kelly Green. Anything is possible as Howard (52-fan) said.

Just Paint it Silver, Flatheads are a breeze to paint.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X