Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Pre war brake shoe and hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Pre war brake shoe and hardware

I have been working on the brakes of my 1941 Studebaker champion 4 dr sedan for about 3 months now. I found someone to turn the drums and had the brake shoes relined. I have had trouble with them ever since. I have owned the car from 1997 til now. I did not have to do anything to the brakes when I got it so I am new to the prewar technology. The main problem stems from the fact that the shoes keep trying to come off the backing plate.Now after all that I have been though I found what's wrong. There are these little horse shoe clips that hold the shoe on with a washer undernath. The stud that the clip rides on has slots cut on each side the clip just slides into these clips. I have been forcing these clips on this pin any kind of way so mthey have been falling off in to the drum where they have been lodging themselves between the drum and the shoe. If I could have read somewhere just a little about this before I attemped to do my brakes it would have saved me alot of money. I wanted to keep my car as original as possible however these type of episodes will lead a person to change alot of things on a prewar car. Maybe it's me but some how this info should have been on this site somewhere, we know it ain't "new" I think with all these car shows on cable someone needs to do some play by play on old prewar cars.I think I know where my next vinture is going to be.
    Studebakers forever!

I don't understand what you're saying? You don't have a shop manual? You are upset that it isn't online? You're too umm 'frugal' to do it the right way and buy the books and now you're mad at the forum for YOU messing with BRAKES and having problems?
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have a number of manuals, What is it you don't understand. The info needed to fix this car is not here, i'm not mad at the forum. I would like someone to post more stuff on prewar cars. What does "frugal have to do with it.Itake you don't have a prewar car or don't know what that is, if it don't concern you stay out of it. You sound confused here,sometimes somewhere else With alot of faces. Your funny
      Studebakers forever!

Comment

So you are saying that the Shop Manual text never mentions the direction the clips should go onto the studs to keep them from falling off? If so it seems like a major oversight.

I would not be surprised that these would be same old part number as the "C" Clips used on the Rear Drum Brakes of Avantis and Disc. Brake Larks and Hawks that holds the aft. shoe E-Brake lever to the shoe. If so they are to be crimped together so they can not come off and then replaced and disposed of.

I am sorry to hear that. My Cars are all 1954 and on, and I have never found an assembly problem that the Parts Catalogs and Shop Manuals could not solve, they are some of the best in the Industry.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The manual is a good idea but it would not help much in this case. It does not have a lot of specfics about changing shoes on the brakes.

Those clips are not springs. You have to crimp them on with a pair of pliers or something. I have reused mine a couple of times but I am careful taking them off. SI might have replacements if yours are in bad shape. There should be a washer under the clips as well. You can see pictures at http://stude.vonadatech.com. Click on any picture to make them bigger.

Drums for these cars are getting rare. Be careful getting yours turned and don't do it unless you really have to.

There are not any bolt-on brake upgrades for these cars so if you want modern brakes you will have to put in the time, engineering, and $$$. The learning curve for these cars can be frustrating but my car has become a reliable, fun machine. Fun is the key word. If you are not enjoying it a more modern car might be the best solution.

Nathan

Comment

Working...
          X