No announcement yet.

Windshield Install - got it done!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Windshield Install - got it done!

A while back I asked a few questions regarding windshield installation. There were pro and con responses. I feel that thread ran its course (http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...val-needed-%29) and am starting a new post on the subject.

A little history - In July of 2010 I acquired a '64 Daytona off Ebay. A cracked windshield was never stated and it never showed in the images. It was a great disappointment to find when I went to trailer the car home. For the past 2-1/2 years I've been looking for a replacement in proximity to my So. Cal. location. Hard to find period, locally it surely wasn't happening.

Eventually I hooked up with Bob Peterson and purchased two used windshields (I like spares). Once Bob got them out he found that both had a bull'seye in them. Well, I have a 3 foot crack that shoots off in three directions. The bull'seye was not a great issue for me. Then Bob called me back and said the windshields were the Wagon type and were slightly taller in the upper corners. Bob also need the same windshield for a project he had. So, he was going to try and cut the corners..., and would get back to me. A little while later Bob called and said he had been successful! I did however elect to polish the cut with a Dremel and diamond bits to prevent any possible propagation of cracks from the rough edges.

These windshields were 375 miles from home, but thankfully my son was passing through Bob's area after Thanksgiving. I spent about 10 hours constructing a frame to fit my son's Honda Civic (see image). The glass could only be tipped back so far or it would rest (and be vulnerable) on the outer, lower edges. The package shelf reinforcements limited getting the glass vertical. We pulled everything out of that car and notched the frame support base like Swiss cheese (to get it over and around every floor pan protrusion). It got us 1/2" here..., 1/4" there. I then held my breath that my son would arrive home with un-cracked glass (he did!). I then had to safely store the glass for about 2 months until I was ready to install.

Thankfully there was minimal rust in the windshield frame. I used POR 15 as a protective coating. I also had a rubber gasket that I found (Ebay of course) for about half the going rate (a benefit of my 2-1/2 year search). Anyway, here is what I encountered in the install process:

1. Stretching the rubber gasket over the windshield is a bit nerve wracking. There is a bit of tension in the rubber and I kept waiting to hear the sound of cracking. Because of the arc in the upper glass the section goes downward the rubber wants to span the area instead of staying on the edge of the glass. I had to tie string top/bottom in four sections to keep the rubber engaged to the glass. I used soapy water as the install lubricant. A wood shim is helpful to opening the rubber to get the glass in.

2. Installing the metal trim had its difficulty. As it installed on one end, it wanted to "walk" out of alignment on the other. There was also apprehension as to how much pressure was on the end of the glass as the metal took some force to install. Note I used Armor-All as the install lubricant.

Note: I installed the rubber gasket and metal trim myself. I highly recommend having an assistant.

3. Like the gasket itself the pull rope would not stay in the upper channel. I cut Q-tips and used the cotton balls to hold the rope in place. I just needed to remember to remove them before I pulled the rope out!!!

4. I had purchased a tube of 3M TRM 8509 sealant. Unfortunately about half way through the application process the tube clogged. Nothing unclogged it and eventually it blew out the back. This required hand (actually finger) application. The temperature was in the high 60's, but the stuff was still rather stiff.

5. My son and I leaned the glass into place and cut/removed the previous mentioned retaining string. I then applied Armour-All to the frame and gasket. My son "prayed" the glass in the downward direction (one hand inside, one outside, pressed hands together - in the appropriate direction) and I pulled the rope. One of the questions I asked regarded pulling the dash away from the windshield. Most felt I didn't have to. But, I'm so glad I did. I had a visual on the gasket going over the metal lip. And, a few times it hung up on the defrost vent. Seeing it allowed me to correct the problem before it became an issue. This part went pretty well. Looping motion in the corners helped as the rubber changed directions. I had my son maintain very light pressure inward on the glass. I used the rope from a window blind. I felt it worked well. Most recommend a thicker rope. It may help stay in at the top, but my opinion is the rope from the window blind was thick enough.

6. The install completed without breaking the glass. The rubber gasket sits well in the windshield frame. The only issue is the upper metal trim. It sits flush to the gasket on the lower edge (windshield side), but the upper edge (at the roof line) it sticks out about 1/8" at the center. It seems the shape of the glass and the shape of the roof don't match. This was an issue with the old windshield/gasket was well. So, I don't think it is an issue with my installation. Has anyone else experienced this?

I just wanted to relate my experience in that it may help others. The Armour-All, Q-Tip balls and window blind rope are not typical, but I was pleased with how they worked. There is a fair amount of apprehension in doing this. And given the rarity of the glass, it is difficult to come by. The method I was able to accomplish the replacement cost me $175 for everything. On the other hand had I gotten new glass (if it is even "really" available) the going E-bay rate (the only place I ever found NOS glass) was $469 with $165 shipping. With a regular priced gasket $80 and a pro install I would be in the $800-$900 range.

It has been quite a journey. The initial surprise of the cracked windshield. The two and a half year search for replacement glass. The bull'seye's and the need to cut the glass. The "engineering" that went into the transport frame. The delivery apprehension. The rubber installation apprehension. The metal trim installation apprehension. And lastly just getting it installed into the car. I'll put this in my "been there, done that" file in the drawer marked "hope I never have to do that again."

Tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wittsend; 01-27-2013, 07:18 PM.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

I think I have seen that Honda before?
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

My hat is off to you ! I agree, everybody oughta do one. I definitely won't be doing another one.

Comment

Nice job! Glad it went well, and IF you ever have to do it again, it'll be that much easier!

Comment

Working...
        X