Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flight-o-matic Transmission locking up when shifting from low to high!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carussell View Post
    Once again we have a post where the purpose is lost in half-cocked protective diatribes. You apparently can suggest, assume, and - quite frankly - make false statements with facility. You know nothing about me, so back off. Read the entire post and engage the brain before the mouth. This was supposed to be a serious discussion about an event that could have been catastrophic, not a gossip rag chat-room where one gets ambushed for trying to find answers.
    You HAVE been answered MANY times....Your transmission has a problem.....Find a reputable transmission shop in Your area and HAVE IT FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      You HAVE been answered MANY times....Your transmission has a problem.....Find a reputable transmission shop in Your area and HAVE IT FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      In reply #35 to this post I stated the transmission would be going to the shop; only then can we assume what the problem is/was and assume we have a real answer. I look forward to future positive inputs to this post from people that have had similar experiences with their Studebaker transmissions; it may save someone a lot of grief. I will continue to respond to contributors to this post in spite of the BS associated with finding answers.

Comment

In reply #35 to this post I stated the transmission would be going to the shop; only then can we assume what the problem is/was and assume we have a real answer. I look forward to future positive inputs to this post from people that have had similar experiences with their Studebaker transmissions; it may save someone a lot of grief. I will continue to respond to contributors to this post in spite of the BS associated with finding answers.
        The question now is.......'Will the contributors continue to respond to You?' GOOD LUCK!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          The question now is.......'Will the contributors continue to respond to You?' GOOD LUCK!
          Without overstating the obvious, you have already answered that question. Thank you for responding. I hope all future responses will be as enlightening...

Comment

Look, it's simple. If this condition were caused by a design flaw, it would have occurred with some regularity over the entire service life of the transmissions using that design, spanning many years, and many car models, and probably millions of individual cars. There likely would have been recalls, or lawsuits, and a pantload of unfavorable publicity at the time. I was a voracious reader of the car magazines during the period when these cars were current models, and I have been an SDC member, and read their literature for nigh on 40 years. I don't remember the issue ever having come up. If it did, it had to have been rare enough that it did not become part of the Studebaker lore that most of us can rattle off, chapter and verse.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

To: gordr,----PM sent

Comment

...you sound like an intelligent man. I'll assume and am sure you can and will find a very good tranny shop near you to have this unit checked out. When and if that shop finds the problem ask them if this transmission always had a design flaw and report back to us on what that is and what the fix is. I for one don't want to be driving around in a ticking time bomb.
                Maybe I'm lucky but up till now I've dodged the design flaw in my automatic cars.....

Comment

Once again we have a post where the purpose is lost in half-cocked protective diatribes. You apparently can suggest, assume, and - quite frankly - make false statements with facility. You know nothing about me, so back off. Read the entire post and engage the brain before the mouth. This was supposed to be a serious discussion about an event that could have been catastrophic, not a gossip rag chat-room where one gets ambushed for trying to find answers.
                  I suggest that you, sir, should go back and read the entire post. You said:

"My intent - and perhaps the intent and purpose of most technical posts - is/was to determine, "if anyone else has had this problem before" and/or "what was the corrective action, if any". I want to drive my '57 Hawk, but if this is a design flaw I will never drive it again; if it is simply a repair and maintenance issue, then I will perform those tasks (or have them done) and do my 'due diligence'."

I believe that I, and several others, offered constructive comments regarding possible causes for your problem as well as solutions. I also believe that the consensus of the group is that this is not a design issue, but a repair and maintenance issue. You appear to have concluded that it is a design fault.

It seems that you have now chosen to become abusive in your posts. I'm sorry to hear that you feel "ambushed" in this "gossip rag chat-room" for "trying to find answers". I suppose that the respondents might feel attacked and insulted for trying to offer answers. I, for one, will make it a point not to offer my "half-cocked diatribe" in response to your posts in the future. That will probably make us both happier.
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gordr View Post
                    Look, it's simple. If this condition were caused by a design flaw, it would have occurred with some regularity over the entire service life of the transmissions using that design, spanning many years, and many car models, and probably millions of individual cars. There likely would have been recalls, or lawsuits, and a pantload of unfavorable publicity at the time. I was a voracious reader of the car magazines during the period when these cars were current models, and I have been an SDC member, and read their literature for nigh on 40 years. I don't remember the issue ever having come up. If it did, it had to have been rare enough that it did not become part of the Studebaker lore that most of us can rattle off, chapter and verse.
                    Point taken, but recalls did not become real issues until - let's say for sake of discussion - the 1970s with the Ford Pinto. Studebaker was long gone in the USA by that time. One could argue that the Chevrolet Corvair was the harbinger of recalls, or perhaps the Ford Edsel. I am not enough of an automotive historian to discuss that with any real authority. However, back to the Pinto, the only reason it received so much attention was the fiery nature of the crashes. In reality, not that many ever caught fire during a crash. More recently we were inundated by news of accelerator pedals sticking - both Honda and Toyota; the frequency of occurrence was relatively low, yet it was all over the news. Today the media covers such events like caramel on an apple. An incident back then may have simply been attribued to "reckless" driving and isolated.
                    To set the record straight, I was never trying to suggest any liability; just looking for answers and trying to determine if my incident was an isolated one. Also, if a fault is/was found and a corrective action taken, what was it and could that be implemented on my vehicle. Additionally, if a defect was found and corrected on my transmission, then that information could be passed on to others from this end. I am just looking for solutions. This is a technical thread on this forum, is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
                      I suggest that you, sir, should go back and read the entire post. You said:

"My intent - and perhaps the intent and purpose of most technical posts - is/was to determine, "if anyone else has had this problem before" and/or "what was the corrective action, if any". I want to drive my '57 Hawk, but if this is a design flaw I will never drive it again; if it is simply a repair and maintenance issue, then I will perform those tasks (or have them done) and do my 'due diligence'."

I believe that I, and several others, offered constructive comments regarding possible causes for your problem as well as solutions. I also believe that the consensus of the group is that this is not a design issue, but a repair and maintenance issue. You appear to have concluded that it is a design fault.

It seems that you have now chosen to become abusive in your posts. I'm sorry to hear that you feel "ambushed" in this "gossip rag chat-room" for "trying to find answers". I suppose that the respondents might feel attacked and insulted for trying to offer answers. I, for one, will make it a point not to offer my "half-cocked diatribe" in response to your posts in the future. That will probably make us both happier.
                      It appears once more I must set the record straight as the facts get so jumbled here. Your posts in this thread - I believe #23 and #33 - were somewhat constructive; however, in your post #43 - YOU began a personal attack upon me. So be it, do not respond to my posts in the future; that will leave room for people that are actually serious about problem solving and the facts will not be so murky.

Comment

Might I suggest that the sparring parties take a breath? A difference of personal opinion is not enough to get this worked up about.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

Might I suggest that the sparring parties take a breath? A difference of personal opinion is not enough to get this worked up about.
                          Done. I should be pulling apart a 327 in the shop anyway!

Comment

Done. I should be pulling apart a 327 in the shop anyway!
                            AhHa - One of those American Motors engines, like in a Marlin <G>.
                            I have owned more than 50 Studebakers with automatic transmissions and driven them tens of thousands of miles and never experienced the problem that you had. I can understand that it was a scary situation and one that you would want to get corrected, in your transmission, before driving the car again.That is why I suggested putting a known good transmission in the car (post #34).
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Wow! I did not post to cause problems. I I have owned a auto repair buisness for the last 28 years. i know the difference between a design flaw and a problem. Dirt,mabey a piece of gasket gunk or any thing else could cause this problem. Same thing as a float sticking in a carb. Design problem no just something that can happen at the wrong time at the wrong place. Just trying to help as i was helped.
                              Larry Morris
                              1st time poster long time reader.

Comment

I certainly hope the transmission shop finds SOMETHING. This is too scary of a symptom to not know for sure that a sure cure has been found. I always assume that, if I don't find something wrong, the symptoms will return. I'm always happy when I find the missing screw, broken doo-dad, bad solder joint, or whatever, because that tells me I have corrected the actual cause.

carussell, please report back with the full details when the culprit has been found and eliminated.
                                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                                X