Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Socket removal from tail light housing - GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket removal from tail light housing - GT Hawk

The tail light housings on our GT Hawk need to be rechromed. The bulb sockets need to be removed. There appears to be a ring pressed into the socket from the bulb side. Can the sockets be removed and reused, or are new sockets needed?

Thanks,

Perry
    '23 Special Six,
    '50 Business Champ,
    '50 Starlight Champ,
    '60 Lark droptop,
    '63 GT R1
    Perry
    \'50 Business Champ,
    \'50 Starlight Champ,
    \'60 Lark Convertible,
    \'63 GT R1,
    \'67 Triumph TR4A

They are probably the same as my speedster's tail light housings. It has sockets for the bulbs, that are pressed in. To remove the old ones, I pulled with pliers, gently pounded with a hammer and small screwdriver and they eventually popped out. Then what you want to do, is get brand new ones after the chroming is done. The new ones press right in and work much better, since the base and wires are not corroded. What I did was I went to NAPA and asked to look through their catalog that has bulb sockets (you may need to befriend them or find an older guy that understands you're looking for something unique. Hopefully your local NAPA hasn't thrown out the catalogs, most keep them in back now days). They have dozens of sockets in the cataloge, look for the same size with the same number of contacts and with a push in bulb style...just match it up. Well worth it, they're not very expensive, work good, and the lights will be brighter.

Best Regards,
    Eric West
    "The Speedster Kid"
    Sunny Northern California
    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
    55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
    55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)
    Best Regards,
    Eric West
    "The Speedster Kid"
    Sunny Northern California
    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
    55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
    55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

OR - fit LED lights. The "high intensity" ones are quite bright.
      I will fit to mine before it goes back on the road.
      /H

Comment

The old sockets can be removed by careful prying. Remember they are installed in pot metal castings, which can be easily damaged beyond repair.
        New sockets should be available from your local parts supplier. They probably won't have them in stock but, if they don't have a catalog for you to select from, you need a better parts supplier.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
        X